This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

LED Tubes

I have two 36W 1.2m Fluorescent tubes (with starters) lighting my workshop. After 8 years plus I feel that the light output is droping (It could also be my eyes getting older). I would like to replace them with LED tubes so I went to a local store for a look. They offered normal fluorescent tubes with a claimed light output of 3000ish Lumens and LED tubes with a claimed output of 1500ish Lumens. Are the LED tubes really that much dimmer or is it a measurement thing where the normal tubes are omnidirectional and the LED tubes only shine in one direction?

Can anyone recomend particular brands or systems for replacement tubes or would I be better off replacing the complete fittings? Anything else I should know?

Best regards

Roger
Parents

• Peter Brooks:

Just for the record there were three reasons why I changed all my fixtures over to LED's.

Some of my fixtures were the old T12 tubes (large diameter) which I expect will be phased out fairly soon.

Second was the improved efficiency and reduced power consumption 

Third was the part of my overall plan to harden the house.The long life of LED (15-20 years)  hopefully will eliminate the need to climb ladders as one progresses towards 90.

Peter Brooks MIET

Palm Bay, Florida USA 

Just so long as you buy the right ones.  I have seen lifetimes of up to 100 000 hours quoted for LEDS.  But that assumes they are adequately cooled.  It also helps if the driver wasn't sourced from the cheapest supplier.  It's not a lot of use having long life LEDs if the driver doesn't last beyond the first power spike on the supply.

• Peter Brooks:

Just for the record there were three reasons why I changed all my fixtures over to LED's.

Some of my fixtures were the old T12 tubes (large diameter) which I expect will be phased out fairly soon.

Second was the improved efficiency and reduced power consumption 

Third was the part of my overall plan to harden the house.The long life of LED (15-20 years)  hopefully will eliminate the need to climb ladders as one progresses towards 90.

Peter Brooks MIET

Palm Bay, Florida USA 

Just so long as you buy the right ones.  I have seen lifetimes of up to 100 000 hours quoted for LEDS.  But that assumes they are adequately cooled.  It also helps if the driver wasn't sourced from the cheapest supplier.  It's not a lot of use having long life LEDs if the driver doesn't last beyond the first power spike on the supply.
Children
No Data