This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

LED Tubes

I have two 36W 1.2m Fluorescent tubes (with starters) lighting my workshop. After 8 years plus I feel that the light output is droping (It could also be my eyes getting older). I would like to replace them with LED tubes so I went to a local store for a look. They offered normal fluorescent tubes with a claimed light output of 3000ish Lumens and LED tubes with a claimed output of 1500ish Lumens. Are the LED tubes really that much dimmer or is it a measurement thing where the normal tubes are omnidirectional and the LED tubes only shine in one direction?

Can anyone recomend particular brands or systems for replacement tubes or would I be better off replacing the complete fittings? Anything else I should know?

Best regards

Roger
Parents
  • Hello Simon:

You are absolutely correct concerning watching for defective drivers and LED chips.

Before installing I burn-in the complete system for 24 hours using my wife's baking pans as heat sinks (using the magnetic attachment).

I have seen a number of defective LED surface mounted lighting fixtures displayed at our local big box hardware stores.

My LED drivers are those used for portable computers covering both supplies voltages from 100 to about 250 AC volts at 50/60 HZ. In the US we use 110 volts AC.

Thus a loss of the neutral still meets the input voltage requirement.

Regarding lightening induced power spikes 2 KV+ our house it generally protected by our adjacent overhead HV power lines.

Peter Brooks MIET

Palm Bay Florida USA

• Hello Simon:

You are absolutely correct concerning watching for defective drivers and LED chips.

Before installing I burn-in the complete system for 24 hours using my wife's baking pans as heat sinks (using the magnetic attachment).

I have seen a number of defective LED surface mounted lighting fixtures displayed at our local big box hardware stores.

My LED drivers are those used for portable computers covering both supplies voltages from 100 to about 250 AC volts at 50/60 HZ. In the US we use 110 volts AC.

Thus a loss of the neutral still meets the input voltage requirement.

Regarding lightening induced power spikes 2 KV+ our house it generally protected by our adjacent overhead HV power lines.

Peter Brooks MIET

Palm Bay Florida USA

Children
No Data