This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Career advice from senior or retired engineers

The purpose of this forum is highlight information from senior or retired engineers that will provide advice to new people entering the profession. 

The recent published articles by the IET:-

"Too old to be an engineer" in the E&T July 2019 magazine

"100,000 older workers kicked out of IBM, as company craved Googles Cool image" published August 1, 2019

started me thinking about the need to communicate advice on avoiding speed bumps during one's carrier.

During my 45+ years in engineer I have been laid off twice -once when I was 28 and again at 63.

I have worked for 9 companies in three countries where 8 of those companies are no longer in existence. 

Total time out of work has not exceeded 6 weeks.

I have made three complete changes in related technology/products.

Here is an example of the advice I received early on in my career:- "The young engineer knows the rules, the old engineer knows the exceptions" -- meaning even if one thinks one knows the answer ask the senior engineer if there is better solution.

Peter Brooks MIET

Palm Bay Florida USA

Parents
  • Hello Benyamin:

As I said previously it must be a WIN-WIN situation with your dealings with a client. However care must be taken not to move into a kickback situation. Most companies have written directives on the maximum value of gifts and entertainment that can be given to the client's representative.

The situation is even more difficult when interfacing with representatives from competing companies when for example generating industry standards. One most avoid the appearance of forming a Cartel.

Peter Brooks MIET

Palm Bay Florida USA
  • Hello Benyamin:

As I said previously it must be a WIN-WIN situation with your dealings with a client. However care must be taken not to move into a kickback situation. Most companies have written directives on the maximum value of gifts and entertainment that can be given to the client's representative.

The situation is even more difficult when interfacing with representatives from competing companies when for example generating industry standards. One most avoid the appearance of forming a Cartel.

Peter Brooks MIET

Palm Bay Florida USA
Children
No Data