This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Calvin Asks: Is there space for a mature student in engineering?

After moving countries I took the "any job to pay the bills route".

I was previously a recording engineer and once arriving in the UK I took a bar job. This bar job evolved to me being promoted to restaurant manager, earning a very comfortable salary. But I hated the job. Long hours that would often go into the night were not my long term plan.

When I was offered the position of general manager I had a decision to make. I knew that if I accepted it I would probably stay for the money. So I decided to quit, enrolled in college and then in a EEE course at university.

By the time I graduate with a masters I will be 40 years old and I fear that I might be rejected by most companies due to my age. I also fear that I'm at the bottom of the barrel when it comes to being chosen as my grades aren't excellent (although I believe I will graduate with a 2:1) I have very little outside projects under my belt (as time is a little limited when you have to support yourself and have time to spend with family) and I didn't manage to secure a summer placement in 3rd year.

Is there a place for me in the industry?

Sound man - Sheffield

Need advice but  too shy to ask? Have a question of a ‘sensitive’ nature and would prefer to remain anonymous? Need to get something off your chest but worried about the boss (or your colleagues) finding out? Then ‘Ask Calvin’ !  

Submit your questions confidentially to AskCalvin@theiet.org and Calvin will ask the community on your behalf to give you the anonymity you want to find the advice you need.

Parents
  • It is difficult to know how to answer this. The country is suffering from a lack of engineers, so on that basis there is a place for you in industry. It is now illegal to discriminate on the basis of age so interviewers will generally not bring up the question of 'how old are you' in order to avoid the possibility of a challenge. They can't even discriminate on age for entry onto a Graduate Training Scheme. However proving discrimination would be a much harder issue. Not being selected could be for other reasons.

The only thing I can really advise is don't be discouraged, get practiced at filling out application forms, and talk to your university career advisers early (which will certainly make you stand out from the crowd). This way you can get a head start on most of your fellow students.

With a more mature outlook you will have advantages over other graduates who have not developed the same life skills, so try to make these advantages count.

Alasdair
  • It is difficult to know how to answer this. The country is suffering from a lack of engineers, so on that basis there is a place for you in industry. It is now illegal to discriminate on the basis of age so interviewers will generally not bring up the question of 'how old are you' in order to avoid the possibility of a challenge. They can't even discriminate on age for entry onto a Graduate Training Scheme. However proving discrimination would be a much harder issue. Not being selected could be for other reasons.

The only thing I can really advise is don't be discouraged, get practiced at filling out application forms, and talk to your university career advisers early (which will certainly make you stand out from the crowd). This way you can get a head start on most of your fellow students.

With a more mature outlook you will have advantages over other graduates who have not developed the same life skills, so try to make these advantages count.

Alasdair
Children
No Data