This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Calvin Asks: Is there space for a mature student in engineering?

After moving countries I took the "any job to pay the bills route".

I was previously a recording engineer and once arriving in the UK I took a bar job. This bar job evolved to me being promoted to restaurant manager, earning a very comfortable salary. But I hated the job. Long hours that would often go into the night were not my long term plan.

When I was offered the position of general manager I had a decision to make. I knew that if I accepted it I would probably stay for the money. So I decided to quit, enrolled in college and then in a EEE course at university.

By the time I graduate with a masters I will be 40 years old and I fear that I might be rejected by most companies due to my age. I also fear that I'm at the bottom of the barrel when it comes to being chosen as my grades aren't excellent (although I believe I will graduate with a 2:1) I have very little outside projects under my belt (as time is a little limited when you have to support yourself and have time to spend with family) and I didn't manage to secure a summer placement in 3rd year.

Is there a place for me in the industry?

Sound man - Sheffield

Need advice but  too shy to ask? Have a question of a ‘sensitive’ nature and would prefer to remain anonymous? Need to get something off your chest but worried about the boss (or your colleagues) finding out? Then ‘Ask Calvin’ !  

Submit your questions confidentially to AskCalvin@theiet.org and Calvin will ask the community on your behalf to give you the anonymity you want to find the advice you need.

Parents
  • As usual Alasdair and I posted simultaneously ? (More of a coincidence than usual as I don't visit these forums very often these days)

What I would add to Alasdair's post, in line with mine, is don't think of yourself as a graduate engineer - think of yourself as an experienced manager / team leader / problem solver with an engineering degree. Then you've got more chance of competing like-for-like with other candidates.

Cheers,

Andy
  • As usual Alasdair and I posted simultaneously ? (More of a coincidence than usual as I don't visit these forums very often these days)

What I would add to Alasdair's post, in line with mine, is don't think of yourself as a graduate engineer - think of yourself as an experienced manager / team leader / problem solver with an engineering degree. Then you've got more chance of competing like-for-like with other candidates.

Cheers,

Andy
Children
No Data