This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Let the replies begin....When is an electrical engineer not an engineer?

This is an interesting story on the term registered professional engineer and how it is interpreted.
Parents
  • Yes it will be interesting to see, given the debate that's been running in the UK at least as long as I've been in engineering (i.e. since the late 1970s) as to whether "only professional engineers should be allowed to call themselves engineers".

I always find the dichotomy in the US interesting, where some aspects of life to do with engineering safety are (to a UK view) surprisingly unregulated, and some are (to a UK view) surprisingly regulated. Although of course often on a state by state basis. Does anyone know what the background to Professional Licensing actually was - whether it was brought in as a response to safety incidents or whether it was through Union pressure?

Cheers,

Andy
  • Yes it will be interesting to see, given the debate that's been running in the UK at least as long as I've been in engineering (i.e. since the late 1970s) as to whether "only professional engineers should be allowed to call themselves engineers".

I always find the dichotomy in the US interesting, where some aspects of life to do with engineering safety are (to a UK view) surprisingly unregulated, and some are (to a UK view) surprisingly regulated. Although of course often on a state by state basis. Does anyone know what the background to Professional Licensing actually was - whether it was brought in as a response to safety incidents or whether it was through Union pressure?

Cheers,

Andy
Children
No Data