This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Let the replies begin....When is an electrical engineer not an engineer?

This is an interesting story on the term registered professional engineer and how it is interpreted.
Parents
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member

Alasdair Anderson:

Moshe,

Many thanks for providing the US perspective. I can fully agree with the intent of the law and the advantages of becoming licenced, but the issue here, based on the reporting we have seen, does not appear to be anything to do with safety but merely the fact that the individual titled himself as 'Engineer'. I can understand that "Professional Engineer" is a restricted title but was not aware that "Engineer" was restricted also (at least in Arizona).

Alasdair

Alasdair,

The laws on the paper are actually very strong they not only go after title Engineer but the actual practice of Engineering just like the practice of Medicine, but many state agencies such as consumer protection when it comes to engineers choose to selectively enforce the law on the books.  This can be due to limited funds and recourses, political climate, the entity such as individual vs corporation. At the time of Arizona's case, there was national effort and a strong push to protect the licensure, Some states tried to cancel licensure or make the rules weak, a lot of push came from state societies of professional engineers, lobbying and legal challenges. I think PE's prevailed and had partial but significant victory.

I remember reading about how in Texas when Software engineers became a licensed profession, the state went after unlicensed Sofware Engineers who ended up changing their title from Engineer to Developer. Less than a decade later due to the low number of Engineers who pursuing a license as Software Engineers the category was discontinued. There are good reasons for licensure and also debates and push back by some employers who don't like restrictions and over regulations, they don't think that every engineer position requires a licensed professional. So civil, electrical, chemical and a couple more traditional fields require licensure.  Many government Engineer jobs require a license as well. I don't rule out that  the Arizona case may repeat in other states. The intensification of regulation inforcement comes in waves. 

• Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member

Alasdair Anderson:

Moshe,

Many thanks for providing the US perspective. I can fully agree with the intent of the law and the advantages of becoming licenced, but the issue here, based on the reporting we have seen, does not appear to be anything to do with safety but merely the fact that the individual titled himself as 'Engineer'. I can understand that "Professional Engineer" is a restricted title but was not aware that "Engineer" was restricted also (at least in Arizona).

Alasdair

Alasdair,

The laws on the paper are actually very strong they not only go after title Engineer but the actual practice of Engineering just like the practice of Medicine, but many state agencies such as consumer protection when it comes to engineers choose to selectively enforce the law on the books.  This can be due to limited funds and recourses, political climate, the entity such as individual vs corporation. At the time of Arizona's case, there was national effort and a strong push to protect the licensure, Some states tried to cancel licensure or make the rules weak, a lot of push came from state societies of professional engineers, lobbying and legal challenges. I think PE's prevailed and had partial but significant victory.

I remember reading about how in Texas when Software engineers became a licensed profession, the state went after unlicensed Sofware Engineers who ended up changing their title from Engineer to Developer. Less than a decade later due to the low number of Engineers who pursuing a license as Software Engineers the category was discontinued. There are good reasons for licensure and also debates and push back by some employers who don't like restrictions and over regulations, they don't think that every engineer position requires a licensed professional. So civil, electrical, chemical and a couple more traditional fields require licensure.  Many government Engineer jobs require a license as well. I don't rule out that  the Arizona case may repeat in other states. The intensification of regulation inforcement comes in waves. 

Children
No Data