This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Transfering from EngTech to IEng (With a BEng)

In need of some advice...

Following my placement year a university I successfully attained EngTech. I am now in full time engineering role following my graduation with a first class BEng degree.

It's my aspiration to move onto IEng "Naturally" as quoted from https://www.theiet.org/career/professional-registration/transferring-to-ceng-or-ieng/.

Is IEng something that I can apply for in the short term (Next 6 months), or is this something that I should be aiming for within the next couple of years.

P.s. Placement was a Quality Engineering role, I currently work in a graduate scheme so my current role changes every 4 months covering everything from Design, project management, commercial, etc...
Parents
  • Andy beat me to it with that reply. In addition to a PRA there are a couple of other things I would suggest.

First, even if you feel you might need to postpone applying for IEng for six months or a year while you tick a few more of the UK Spec competence boxes, it is worth starting to put together an application early as it always takes longer to write than expected, normally due to work getting in the way with deadlines needing to be met.

Second, check with your employer whether they can adapt the training you are receiving to ensure you fill any gaps in the UK Spec competences. This will help to get you across the finish line quicker and also give a higher chance of success. To put this in perspective, most employers have their graduate schemes geared towards registration and are more than happy for the graduates to take control of their destiny rather than having to try to work out for themselves what gaps there are.

Very best wishes for success,

Alasdair

• Andy beat me to it with that reply. In addition to a PRA there are a couple of other things I would suggest.

First, even if you feel you might need to postpone applying for IEng for six months or a year while you tick a few more of the UK Spec competence boxes, it is worth starting to put together an application early as it always takes longer to write than expected, normally due to work getting in the way with deadlines needing to be met.

Second, check with your employer whether they can adapt the training you are receiving to ensure you fill any gaps in the UK Spec competences. This will help to get you across the finish line quicker and also give a higher chance of success. To put this in perspective, most employers have their graduate schemes geared towards registration and are more than happy for the graduates to take control of their destiny rather than having to try to work out for themselves what gaps there are.

Very best wishes for success,

Alasdair

Children
No Data