This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Christmas lights swtich?

Hi all

I need some help with my Christmas tree lights... ?

Is it possible to put an in line switch in the cable between the bulbs and the transformer so you can switch the lights on an off without having to do it at the socket or pull the plug out each time?

If yes, where can I get such a switch?
Parents
  • Hi Lisa,

I would say 'Yes, it is possible', but that is not the same as desirable or even safe. I don't know the set up of your lights but we have several sets in different states of mayhem, most of the recently purchased ones being with a transformer/controller which sets different flashing regimes, which normally have the lights on different strings so that there are about four or five wires coming out of the controller allowing different lamps to be on at different stages in the cycle. Such a set up would need a switch in each string (unless you want to do it by switching a common return which might have safety issues) so it is not as simple as at first sight.

Most switches you can purchase assume mounting in a casing so you would need to get the switch plus the enclosure, adding to the cost.

I assume that the issue you have is that the socket/plug is not readily accessible when the tree is up -  if this is the reason then why not buy an extension block that has switched sockets (either individual or as a common switch) that allows you to have the socket and switch in an accessible location, and that you can use for twelve months of the year rather than a few weeks?

Alasdair
  • Hi Lisa,

I would say 'Yes, it is possible', but that is not the same as desirable or even safe. I don't know the set up of your lights but we have several sets in different states of mayhem, most of the recently purchased ones being with a transformer/controller which sets different flashing regimes, which normally have the lights on different strings so that there are about four or five wires coming out of the controller allowing different lamps to be on at different stages in the cycle. Such a set up would need a switch in each string (unless you want to do it by switching a common return which might have safety issues) so it is not as simple as at first sight.

Most switches you can purchase assume mounting in a casing so you would need to get the switch plus the enclosure, adding to the cost.

I assume that the issue you have is that the socket/plug is not readily accessible when the tree is up -  if this is the reason then why not buy an extension block that has switched sockets (either individual or as a common switch) that allows you to have the socket and switch in an accessible location, and that you can use for twelve months of the year rather than a few weeks?

Alasdair
Children
No Data