This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

No Climate Emergency

This doesn't seem to appear in the Daily Mail or the BBC, I wonder why:

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2019/sep/29/scientists-tell-un-global-climate-summit-no-emerge/

There is no climate emergency
A global network of 500 scientists and professionals has prepared this urgent message. Climate
science should be less political, while climate policies should be more scientific. Scientists should
openly address the uncertainties and exaggerations in their predictions of global warming, while
politicians should dispassionately count the real benefits as well as the imagined costs of adaptation
to global warming, and the real costs as well as the imagined benefits of mitigation.
Natural as well as anthropogenic factors cause warming
The geological archive reveals that Earth’s climate has varied as long as the planet has existed, with
natural cold and warm phases. The Little Ice Age ended as recently as 1850. Therefore, it is no
surprise that we now are experiencing a period of warming.
Warming is far slower than predicted
The world has warmed at less than half the originally-predicted rate, and at less than half the rate to
be expected on the basis of net anthropogenic forcing and radiative imbalance. It tells us that we are
far from understanding climate change.
Climate policy relies on inadequate models
Climate models have many shortcomings and are not remotely plausible as policy tools. Moreover,
they most likely exaggerate the effect of greenhouse gases such as CO2. In addition, they ignore the
fact that enriching the atmosphere with CO2 is beneficial.
CO2 is plant food, the basis of all life on Earth
CO2 is not a pollutant. It is essential to all life on Earth. Photosynthesis is a blessing. More CO2 is
beneficial for nature, greening the Earth: additional CO2 in the air has promoted growth in global
plant biomass. It is also good for agriculture, increasing the yields of crops worldwide.
Global warming has not increased natural disasters
There is no statistical evidence that global warming is intensifying hurricanes, floods, droughts and
suchlike natural disasters, or making them more frequent. However, CO2-mitigation measures are as
damaging as they are costly. For instance, wind turbines kill birds and bats, and palm-oil plantations
destroy the biodiversity of the rainforests.
Climate policy must respect scientific and economic realities
There is no climate emergency. Therefore, there is no cause for panic and alarm. We strongly
oppose the harmful and unrealistic net-zero CO2 policy proposed for 2050. If better approaches
emerge, we will have ample time to reflect and adapt. The aim of international policy should be to
provide reliable and affordable energy at all times, and throughout the world.

https://clintel.nl/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/ecd-letter-to-un.pdf

At last some people talking sense. After the relatively rapid rise of around 1°C between 1975 and 2000 in the Northern Hemisphere the temperatures have been relatively flat.

f95f77dc1ad4c0ab15046a656ee22cae-huge-hadcrut.jpg

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/hadobs/hadcrut4/figures/Figure11.png

We certainly need to reduce our consumption of finite resources and reduce our impact on the planet but focusing on CO2 is not the way to do it. Let's start with real pollutants that are directly harmful.

Best regards

Roger
Parents
  • For the avoidance of doubt, this letter has not been signed by 500 scientists. (When you choose as one of your lead signatories a journalist turned deputy leader of UKIP it does suggest you're probably running out of reputable scientists!)

And you do have to wonder why those that are reputable scientists - and some are - signed it. Take 

CO2 is plant food, the basis of all life on Earth. CO2  is not a pollutant. It is essential to all life on Earth. Photosynthesis is a blessing. More CO2  is beneficial for nature, greening the Earth: additional CO2 in the air has promoted growth in global plant biomass. It is also good for agriculture, increasing the yields of crops worldwide.

Ok, probably none of those that are scientists are biologists, but you'd have thought some would have a basic understanding of biological and ecosystem processes. But anyway that's not the point. This paragraph (and it's a very short letter so no-one can claim it's "out of context") has nothing to do with climate change one way or another. It's just weird. Any scientist that tried putting that in a climate science paper would be laughed out of the room - not for challenging the status quo, but for having a "scientific approach" that would be unacceptable even at GCSE level. You could say the same about water, essential to life but too much of it is going to cause problems...

As various websites have pointed out, this letter is the same old arguments rehashed. Yes, climate scientists know that the models aren't perfect, and produce differing long term results. It doesn't affect the fact that they show common trends.

Probably a hint as to what happened here is - to pick an example - that one of the 500 was Richard Lindzen. Now he does know what he's talking about, but what's key is that he describes himself as a "contrarian". He likes to provoke debate. Which is fine - except that the time to sit around chatting about the theoretical watertightness of the Titanic's chambers is when it's being designed and built, not when it's going down. I suspect  (although I don't know, people could check if they wanted) that several more of the signatories are similar old-school academics who enjoy a good academic common room contrarian debate. The question is whether they are taking on board the effect on society of the way they are having the debate - chances are they'd say that's not their problem. Personally I'd disagree.  

Given we don't really know why these 500 people chose to sign this letter I'm not sure this is likely to turn into a very helpful discussion on this forum. But anyone interested in what type of arguments are being crafted to appeal to climate change deniers would profit from reading this letter. (I suspect, from the CO2 references, it's largely a fossil fuel lobby focused item.) But don't read it expecting to learn how to present a scientific argument to anyone who understands science!

What concerns me more, because it is my field (whereas atmospheric physics isn't), is the misunderstandings about risk management in all this. Let's say (crudely, and people can disagree with my figure but I'd argue the order of magnitude is correct) that 95% of scientists who understand the mechanisms involved believe that the climate will significantly change due to man made effects - even if they can't accurately predict exactly in which way it will change. And let's say that if they're right then there will be considerable loss of life. Then any credible risk management process says that you put that into a matrix, the probability of occurrence will go in as high (not inevitable, because some relevant scientists disagree, but most don't) and the related consequence will be severe. That comes out with the conclusion that you must do something to reduce your risk.

In most countries you are not allowed legally (or, I'd suggest, morally) to say that a bridge is ok if 95% of your engineers say it is going to collapse with significant loss of life and 5% say it's fine. You have to do something about it. The fact that as MD of the construction company you don't understand the arguments of 95% of your engineers ("but I can see it standing, I walked across it this morning and it was fine") will be, quite rightly I'd argue, no defence when it collapses.

I don't plan to debate this any further here as I have no evidence that any of us are experts in climate science, and I think this subject is too serious for a banter level debate (see my comments above on Richard Lindzen). I am sure other institutes (e.g. IoP?) have forums where they do have that expertise and would be able to accommodate such a debate.

Andy

• For the avoidance of doubt, this letter has not been signed by 500 scientists. (When you choose as one of your lead signatories a journalist turned deputy leader of UKIP it does suggest you're probably running out of reputable scientists!)

And you do have to wonder why those that are reputable scientists - and some are - signed it. Take 

CO2 is plant food, the basis of all life on Earth. CO2  is not a pollutant. It is essential to all life on Earth. Photosynthesis is a blessing. More CO2  is beneficial for nature, greening the Earth: additional CO2 in the air has promoted growth in global plant biomass. It is also good for agriculture, increasing the yields of crops worldwide.

Ok, probably none of those that are scientists are biologists, but you'd have thought some would have a basic understanding of biological and ecosystem processes. But anyway that's not the point. This paragraph (and it's a very short letter so no-one can claim it's "out of context") has nothing to do with climate change one way or another. It's just weird. Any scientist that tried putting that in a climate science paper would be laughed out of the room - not for challenging the status quo, but for having a "scientific approach" that would be unacceptable even at GCSE level. You could say the same about water, essential to life but too much of it is going to cause problems...

As various websites have pointed out, this letter is the same old arguments rehashed. Yes, climate scientists know that the models aren't perfect, and produce differing long term results. It doesn't affect the fact that they show common trends.

Probably a hint as to what happened here is - to pick an example - that one of the 500 was Richard Lindzen. Now he does know what he's talking about, but what's key is that he describes himself as a "contrarian". He likes to provoke debate. Which is fine - except that the time to sit around chatting about the theoretical watertightness of the Titanic's chambers is when it's being designed and built, not when it's going down. I suspect  (although I don't know, people could check if they wanted) that several more of the signatories are similar old-school academics who enjoy a good academic common room contrarian debate. The question is whether they are taking on board the effect on society of the way they are having the debate - chances are they'd say that's not their problem. Personally I'd disagree.  

Given we don't really know why these 500 people chose to sign this letter I'm not sure this is likely to turn into a very helpful discussion on this forum. But anyone interested in what type of arguments are being crafted to appeal to climate change deniers would profit from reading this letter. (I suspect, from the CO2 references, it's largely a fossil fuel lobby focused item.) But don't read it expecting to learn how to present a scientific argument to anyone who understands science!

What concerns me more, because it is my field (whereas atmospheric physics isn't), is the misunderstandings about risk management in all this. Let's say (crudely, and people can disagree with my figure but I'd argue the order of magnitude is correct) that 95% of scientists who understand the mechanisms involved believe that the climate will significantly change due to man made effects - even if they can't accurately predict exactly in which way it will change. And let's say that if they're right then there will be considerable loss of life. Then any credible risk management process says that you put that into a matrix, the probability of occurrence will go in as high (not inevitable, because some relevant scientists disagree, but most don't) and the related consequence will be severe. That comes out with the conclusion that you must do something to reduce your risk.

In most countries you are not allowed legally (or, I'd suggest, morally) to say that a bridge is ok if 95% of your engineers say it is going to collapse with significant loss of life and 5% say it's fine. You have to do something about it. The fact that as MD of the construction company you don't understand the arguments of 95% of your engineers ("but I can see it standing, I walked across it this morning and it was fine") will be, quite rightly I'd argue, no defence when it collapses.

I don't plan to debate this any further here as I have no evidence that any of us are experts in climate science, and I think this subject is too serious for a banter level debate (see my comments above on Richard Lindzen). I am sure other institutes (e.g. IoP?) have forums where they do have that expertise and would be able to accommodate such a debate.

Andy

Children
No Data