This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

What is really a Scientist and how one becomes a such highly prized person? Is it the following route a valid one to become a worthy scientist?

Former Community Member
Former Community Member
Premise: As far as I I know the term " Scientist" in not protected by law all over the world ( it is like " Engineer" in UK) so it my be used by anyone independently by his/her education level and orientation.
https://www.the-ies.org/joining
Parents
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    In the US we have degrees in Environmental Science and also in Environmental Engineering.

Environmental engineers work in a variety of settings because of the nature of the tasks they do. When they are working with other engineers and urban and regional planners, environmental engineers are likely to be in offices. When they are carrying out solutions through construction projects, they are likely to be at construction sites.

Environmental engineers must have a bachelor’s degree in environmental engineering or a related field, such as civil, chemical, or general engineering. Employers also value practical experience. Therefore, cooperative engineering programs, which provide college credit for structured job experience, are valuable as well.

My nephew who graduated with a bachelor's degree from USC in Environmental Sciences actually started in the environmental engineering program but later made a change. 

Even though it appears that "environmental scientists" have more jobs that "environmental engineers", getting an Environmental Engineering degree may be preferred over an environmental science degree. The coursework is far more challenging for the EnvE degree. Some say you can probably get a job as an environmental scientist with an environmental engineering degree (as well as a job as an environmental engineer, obviously). This probably can't go the other way around. Someone with an environmental science degree probably may take extra courses or wouldn't have the skills to be an environmental engineer.  There is a good chance one will have more job prospects with an EnvE degree.

• Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    In the US we have degrees in Environmental Science and also in Environmental Engineering.

Environmental engineers work in a variety of settings because of the nature of the tasks they do. When they are working with other engineers and urban and regional planners, environmental engineers are likely to be in offices. When they are carrying out solutions through construction projects, they are likely to be at construction sites.

Environmental engineers must have a bachelor’s degree in environmental engineering or a related field, such as civil, chemical, or general engineering. Employers also value practical experience. Therefore, cooperative engineering programs, which provide college credit for structured job experience, are valuable as well.

My nephew who graduated with a bachelor's degree from USC in Environmental Sciences actually started in the environmental engineering program but later made a change. 

Even though it appears that "environmental scientists" have more jobs that "environmental engineers", getting an Environmental Engineering degree may be preferred over an environmental science degree. The coursework is far more challenging for the EnvE degree. Some say you can probably get a job as an environmental scientist with an environmental engineering degree (as well as a job as an environmental engineer, obviously). This probably can't go the other way around. Someone with an environmental science degree probably may take extra courses or wouldn't have the skills to be an environmental engineer.  There is a good chance one will have more job prospects with an EnvE degree.

Children
No Data