This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

What is really a Scientist and how one becomes a such highly prized person? Is it the following route a valid one to become a worthy scientist?

Former Community Member
Former Community Member
Premise: As far as I I know the term " Scientist" in not protected by law all over the world ( it is like " Engineer" in UK) so it my be used by anyone independently by his/her education level and orientation.
https://www.the-ies.org/joining
Parents

• Benyamin Davodian:

Good evening Simon Barker, 

why do you think so ?  

There are universities or colleges that teach the engineering professions and have some recognition from a qualified body, so the student attending a university or college must demonstrate some engineering ability and work experience.  

I believe that anyone with an engineering degree can demonstrate one ability or another and I believe it (of course you must have the same student background in some way to demonstrate ability).

1. Because I don't like a protectionist attitude that allows only the members of a particular club to do something.  It's often done in the name of public safety, but is really to increase the pay and job security of those who are already in that club.

• Because it gives the idea that only a few people are allowed to do science.  We wouldn't tolerate the idea that nobody is allowed to do art unless they are a Certified Artist.  Why allow it for other fields?  Anyone who is interested in science can become a scientist, just by doing it.

• Benyamin Davodian:

Good evening Simon Barker, 

why do you think so ?  

There are universities or colleges that teach the engineering professions and have some recognition from a qualified body, so the student attending a university or college must demonstrate some engineering ability and work experience.  

I believe that anyone with an engineering degree can demonstrate one ability or another and I believe it (of course you must have the same student background in some way to demonstrate ability).

1. Because I don't like a protectionist attitude that allows only the members of a particular club to do something.  It's often done in the name of public safety, but is really to increase the pay and job security of those who are already in that club.

• Because it gives the idea that only a few people are allowed to do science.  We wouldn't tolerate the idea that nobody is allowed to do art unless they are a Certified Artist.  Why allow it for other fields?  Anyone who is interested in science can become a scientist, just by doing it.

Children
No Data