This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Do you inform visitors that you have smart devices when they visit your home?

Reading this really interesting article on the BBC website where Rick Osterloh from Google suggests that visitors should have the right to know that smart devices (Alexa, Google Assistant, Smart Security Cameras etc) are present and in use before entering your home.

So this got me thinking... I do have Alexa enabled speakers but I've never thought to inform any visitors. Do we need to though? Has it got to the point where so many of us have these types of devices in our homes that it's a given that they're there? What happens if someone objects?

What do you think?

Parents
  • It is very true that the art of the possible is running faster than the ability of both law and social conventions to keep up.

On the news recently was the unrest about the introduction of a 'whatsapp' tax in Lebanon more here  This prompted a discussion of what the state knows its citizens are doing, and who actually pays to keep the internet up and running.  In many ways the internet is easier to control, intercept and inject false traffic into than say radio, which came before it.

While the Lebanese authorities clearly misjudged the mood, there is a point there that internet traffic is not secure,  and another that once it becomes a utility, it is not an unreasonable idea to tax it by use.

I suspect that one of the things to come out of the current mental health /antisocial teenager issues may well be regulation about who can do what on-line. Technically it is all possible but the politics is messy, and there are a lot of vested interests. I suspect a 'netiquette' including things like telling people when their actions are being broadcast will evolve in due course. And no I have no internet enabled spying equipment in my house, but if I did, I's warn people as they came in, just as if I had a tape recorder running in the living room.

• It is very true that the art of the possible is running faster than the ability of both law and social conventions to keep up.

On the news recently was the unrest about the introduction of a 'whatsapp' tax in Lebanon more here  This prompted a discussion of what the state knows its citizens are doing, and who actually pays to keep the internet up and running.  In many ways the internet is easier to control, intercept and inject false traffic into than say radio, which came before it.

While the Lebanese authorities clearly misjudged the mood, there is a point there that internet traffic is not secure,  and another that once it becomes a utility, it is not an unreasonable idea to tax it by use.

I suspect that one of the things to come out of the current mental health /antisocial teenager issues may well be regulation about who can do what on-line. Technically it is all possible but the politics is messy, and there are a lot of vested interests. I suspect a 'netiquette' including things like telling people when their actions are being broadcast will evolve in due course. And no I have no internet enabled spying equipment in my house, but if I did, I's warn people as they came in, just as if I had a tape recorder running in the living room.

Children
No Data