This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Australian Wildfires

Moving some posts re the Australian wildfires to a separate topic Luciano Bacco‍ 

Luciano Bacco:

Climate Crisis. The reason Australia is red. Australian wildfires have cloaked the country in a demonic red glow. As the new decade begins underneath a blood-red sky, the need for solutions is even more pressing. 
https://www.inverse.com/article/62058-why-do-wildfires-turn-the-sky-red?link_uid=9&utm_campaign=inverse-daily-2020-01-03&utm_medium=inverse&utm_source=newsletter 

And:
https://interestingengineering.com/a-magpie-in-australia-mimics-emergency-responder-sirens-because-things-are-that-bad?_source=newsletter&_campaign=a0bglamBn02qr&_uid=YQdJzWvdOG&_h=c5182a5a087e2b004ca4aca7c1e307f54e8a1507&utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=mailing&utm_campaign=Newsletter-04-01-2020

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/world/australian-bushfires-new-south-wales-koalas-sydney-a4322071.html#spark_wn=1

Parents

• Alasdair Anderson:

Surely it also means "don't burn carbon based waste" which brings the other problem of what to do with non-recycled plastic.

Alasdair

Indeed. So many people are going around declaring 'Climate Emergencies' and demanding 'Carbon Neutral' without actually knowing or defining what they mean ?

So a mixture of comments on the general lack of investment in nuclear power and some of the usual anti nuclear propaganda.

I am still amused by the comment regarding the possible failure of the Sihl Damm in Switzerland (hydro electric generation for the Swiss railways) causing a Fukushima type accident at the Beznau nuclear power plant. It is apparently correct that  several meter high wave would reach Beznau but to do so it would obliterate Zürich and Baden on the way. I think that it would be better to reinforce the damm than the NPP ?

If the Australians had built some nuclear power plants to use their uranium rather than coal fired plants would it have had any effect on the bush fires?

• Alasdair Anderson:

Surely it also means "don't burn carbon based waste" which brings the other problem of what to do with non-recycled plastic.

Alasdair

Indeed. So many people are going around declaring 'Climate Emergencies' and demanding 'Carbon Neutral' without actually knowing or defining what they mean ?

So a mixture of comments on the general lack of investment in nuclear power and some of the usual anti nuclear propaganda.

I am still amused by the comment regarding the possible failure of the Sihl Damm in Switzerland (hydro electric generation for the Swiss railways) causing a Fukushima type accident at the Beznau nuclear power plant. It is apparently correct that  several meter high wave would reach Beznau but to do so it would obliterate Zürich and Baden on the way. I think that it would be better to reinforce the damm than the NPP ?

If the Australians had built some nuclear power plants to use their uranium rather than coal fired plants would it have had any effect on the bush fires?
Children
No Data