This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

HOW IPRA/PRA is recorded / recognized

IPRAs and PRAs are supporting candidates every time, there is place to enter PRA details in the application form.

Is IET keep record of IPRA/PRAs, who supported for how many candidate and when?

In my view, this is one of the record IET need to maintain and recognize PRAs around the world, usually once we support candidate and review, after that there is no communication in relation that application. We prefer to have that communicated

Parents

• Graham Prebble:

I am of the opinion that there are some PRA's (keep seeing certain names), who only PRA and their advise appears to be rather less useful. I am of the belief that unless a PRA does occasional assessments or interviews they cannot really grasp what it is the EC are looking for to the same depth (controversial view I know).

Graham,

There is a lot of sense in what you say here and in other posts, but (as someone who only PRAs) I would take an issue with your 'controversial view'. I am not going to completely disagree but rather say that it is more difficult and may take longer to grasp what the EC are looking for. I was greatly assisted when I started by the fact that my employer had just switched to a competency based appraisal and I had therefore undergone intensive training to be able to carry out such appraisals. I hate to think how I would have coped with the PRA role without that in my back pocket. However a PRA of long standing may have a better in depth understanding than an interviewer in his/her early days.

The real problem with being a PRA is the lack of feedback - if a candidate is successful at interview was it because of your advice or despite it? If a candidate is unsuccessful they are often passed to a second PRA, which has the advantage of providing a second opinion but prevents the first PRA from finding out the reasons for decline. Interviewers and assessors work as part of a team (two interviewers and I am not sure how many assessors) and so there is inbuilt peer review. However the one big advantage the PRA has is the ability to discuss potential problems in an application with others (other PRAs or, if contacts are known, with interviewers or assessors). I have done this in the past such as where I had an opinion about one aspect of the application which I felt would be rejected as suitable evidence by Assessors and Interviewers but asked a friend who is an interviewer for his opinion (which was pretty much exactly as mine - I did have to anonymise the question just in case my friend ended up as the interviewer). However there is no official network set up to allow this to happen.

Alasdair

(Edited to change to 'his/her' - did not mean to be sexist)

• Graham Prebble:

I am of the opinion that there are some PRA's (keep seeing certain names), who only PRA and their advise appears to be rather less useful. I am of the belief that unless a PRA does occasional assessments or interviews they cannot really grasp what it is the EC are looking for to the same depth (controversial view I know).

Graham,

There is a lot of sense in what you say here and in other posts, but (as someone who only PRAs) I would take an issue with your 'controversial view'. I am not going to completely disagree but rather say that it is more difficult and may take longer to grasp what the EC are looking for. I was greatly assisted when I started by the fact that my employer had just switched to a competency based appraisal and I had therefore undergone intensive training to be able to carry out such appraisals. I hate to think how I would have coped with the PRA role without that in my back pocket. However a PRA of long standing may have a better in depth understanding than an interviewer in his/her early days.

The real problem with being a PRA is the lack of feedback - if a candidate is successful at interview was it because of your advice or despite it? If a candidate is unsuccessful they are often passed to a second PRA, which has the advantage of providing a second opinion but prevents the first PRA from finding out the reasons for decline. Interviewers and assessors work as part of a team (two interviewers and I am not sure how many assessors) and so there is inbuilt peer review. However the one big advantage the PRA has is the ability to discuss potential problems in an application with others (other PRAs or, if contacts are known, with interviewers or assessors). I have done this in the past such as where I had an opinion about one aspect of the application which I felt would be rejected as suitable evidence by Assessors and Interviewers but asked a friend who is an interviewer for his opinion (which was pretty much exactly as mine - I did have to anonymise the question just in case my friend ended up as the interviewer). However there is no official network set up to allow this to happen.

Alasdair

(Edited to change to 'his/her' - did not mean to be sexist)

Children
No Data