This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Windows 7 Support Ending. Security Risks.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-51090407

Z.
Parents

• I understand that as long as you have an official copy of Windows 7 and you have the product key you can still upgrade to 10 free today (and may be tomorrow) by downloading it from Microsoft. 

There was a period when win10 was first released when you could upgrade for free - but I thought that had long since passed. It wasn't always physically possible anyway - if you system happened to contain components (esp. on the motherboard) that win10 didn't support then the upgrade would fail anyway (whether free or not). Sometimes you might be able to get new win10 drivers from the hardware manufacturers, but often not if the hardware is no longer current.

- Andy.

• I understand that as long as you have an official copy of Windows 7 and you have the product key you can still upgrade to 10 free today (and may be tomorrow) by downloading it from Microsoft. 

There was a period when win10 was first released when you could upgrade for free - but I thought that had long since passed. It wasn't always physically possible anyway - if you system happened to contain components (esp. on the motherboard) that win10 didn't support then the upgrade would fail anyway (whether free or not). Sometimes you might be able to get new win10 drivers from the hardware manufacturers, but often not if the hardware is no longer current.

- Andy.
Children
No Data