This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

CPD for retired registrants

Hi,

This old chestnut came up yet again at our LN AGM yesterday, I just wondered if anyone - including CPD assessors - had any good suggestions of likely but perhaps not obvious CPD activities that retired members should consider claiming if asked?

The chap who started the discussion does voluntary work refurbishing old pieces of equipment for a heritage railway - which often involves him having to work out how they are supposed to work first! - and also edits a local classic car club newsletter. I assured him that he at least wouldn't have a problem! But it's interesting that he felt concerned enough to ask.

Cheers,

Andy
Parents
  • Andy,

The mantra I have always heard at various IET sessions is that the requirement for non-active registrants is 10 hours as opposed to 30 hours for an active registrant, and that this can be achieved by reading the magazine (presumably every issue cover to cover), but this has always seemed to me to be a bit of a cop-out. After all, if someone takes a ten year break and is non-active but maintains 10 hours a year of CPD just reading the magazine, would you expect them to be fully up to date if they then return to the industry at the end of that period? However that is a separate issue from your question.

There are a number of areas that retired registrants can participate such as local meetings, some of which are aimed at retired people (for instance my most local meetings are held each month on a Wednesday morning at 10.30 so I have never managed to attend,which is a pity as they often seem to have the most interesting talks). There is also the opportunity of voluntary roles within the IET, something I have certainly found rewarding. Of course volunteering does not need to be with the IET but can be with other groups - a friend of mine who is not actually a registered engineer (while he studied electrical engineering he then became a BA pilot) is a volunteer with the Bluebell Railway which would also be a good option.

I am sure others will post even better suggestions than mine which have been put together in a brief respite during a tea break.

Alasdair

PS Edit: Just noticed the words in your post of 'non-obvious'. One I would put in that category is something both my wife and an ex-colleague do in different locations, which is voluntary work with a local 'good neighbours' scheme. These are where volunteers provide transport for old/disabled persons to attend things like doctors appointments, hairdressers, etc. The ex-colleague does his local scheme management and actually operates it at a profit due to a grant from the local council, despite paying the volunteer drivers expenses at 45p/mile. (My wife is not registered, but my ex-colleague is!)

• Andy,

The mantra I have always heard at various IET sessions is that the requirement for non-active registrants is 10 hours as opposed to 30 hours for an active registrant, and that this can be achieved by reading the magazine (presumably every issue cover to cover), but this has always seemed to me to be a bit of a cop-out. After all, if someone takes a ten year break and is non-active but maintains 10 hours a year of CPD just reading the magazine, would you expect them to be fully up to date if they then return to the industry at the end of that period? However that is a separate issue from your question.

There are a number of areas that retired registrants can participate such as local meetings, some of which are aimed at retired people (for instance my most local meetings are held each month on a Wednesday morning at 10.30 so I have never managed to attend,which is a pity as they often seem to have the most interesting talks). There is also the opportunity of voluntary roles within the IET, something I have certainly found rewarding. Of course volunteering does not need to be with the IET but can be with other groups - a friend of mine who is not actually a registered engineer (while he studied electrical engineering he then became a BA pilot) is a volunteer with the Bluebell Railway which would also be a good option.

I am sure others will post even better suggestions than mine which have been put together in a brief respite during a tea break.

Alasdair

PS Edit: Just noticed the words in your post of 'non-obvious'. One I would put in that category is something both my wife and an ex-colleague do in different locations, which is voluntary work with a local 'good neighbours' scheme. These are where volunteers provide transport for old/disabled persons to attend things like doctors appointments, hairdressers, etc. The ex-colleague does his local scheme management and actually operates it at a profit due to a grant from the local council, despite paying the volunteer drivers expenses at 45p/mile. (My wife is not registered, but my ex-colleague is!)

Children
No Data