This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

CPD for retired registrants

Hi,

This old chestnut came up yet again at our LN AGM yesterday, I just wondered if anyone - including CPD assessors - had any good suggestions of likely but perhaps not obvious CPD activities that retired members should consider claiming if asked?

The chap who started the discussion does voluntary work refurbishing old pieces of equipment for a heritage railway - which often involves him having to work out how they are supposed to work first! - and also edits a local classic car club newsletter. I assured him that he at least wouldn't have a problem! But it's interesting that he felt concerned enough to ask.

Cheers,

Andy
Parents
  • Alasdair, 

the question mention of the Bluebell Railway prompts from me,  and it's possible this has been discussed previously on another thread,  but if so,  I can't quite place it,  is where does the line fall between CPD and leisure activity? 

Is it that it's got to be directly related to engineering activity? Is it that it has to be a volunteering role? But then learning on the job when not retired wouldn't count, so clearly the volunteer element isn't the key criterion. Maybe you just have to be able to demonstrate Joe whatever it is relates to your overall professional capability? 

For instance,  would the fact that I'm learning to fly,  aiming for a private pilot's licence count? Or that I recently started learning Italian? (For the record,  I'm also privately self studying for Cisco CCNA, which is clearly relevant/acceptable).

I'm not trying to rubbish what you've said,  just trying to understand the boundaries.
  • Alasdair, 

the question mention of the Bluebell Railway prompts from me,  and it's possible this has been discussed previously on another thread,  but if so,  I can't quite place it,  is where does the line fall between CPD and leisure activity? 

Is it that it's got to be directly related to engineering activity? Is it that it has to be a volunteering role? But then learning on the job when not retired wouldn't count, so clearly the volunteer element isn't the key criterion. Maybe you just have to be able to demonstrate Joe whatever it is relates to your overall professional capability? 

For instance,  would the fact that I'm learning to fly,  aiming for a private pilot's licence count? Or that I recently started learning Italian? (For the record,  I'm also privately self studying for Cisco CCNA, which is clearly relevant/acceptable).

I'm not trying to rubbish what you've said,  just trying to understand the boundaries.
Children
No Data