This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

CPD for retired registrants

Hi,

This old chestnut came up yet again at our LN AGM yesterday, I just wondered if anyone - including CPD assessors - had any good suggestions of likely but perhaps not obvious CPD activities that retired members should consider claiming if asked?

The chap who started the discussion does voluntary work refurbishing old pieces of equipment for a heritage railway - which often involves him having to work out how they are supposed to work first! - and also edits a local classic car club newsletter. I assured him that he at least wouldn't have a problem! But it's interesting that he felt concerned enough to ask.

Cheers,

Andy
Parents
  • Roy,

It very much depends on what it is you are doing in the volunteer role. You also have to remember that the competencies cover more than just the technical aspects of engineering so a governance role or a H&S role can be relevant.

I think that if you can relate it to a UK Spec competence then there is a degree of justification in counting it as contributing to CPD. Learning to fly may have some aspects (are you learning aerodynamics, are there safety issues you are learning, etc.?) but I must admit that learning Italian is a bit of a challenge to relate to CPD.....

I would certainly consider learning to fly as being more useful in terms of CPD than reading some of the articles in the magazine (though not all). However please don't rely on my opinion as being a definitive answer in terms of boundaries. Perhaps the last word on this (at least in this post) should be from UK Spec (note: my highlighting)

CPD can also take a variety of different forms. At its heart is informal learning through the challenges and opportunities of working life, and interaction with others

Alasdair
  • Roy,

It very much depends on what it is you are doing in the volunteer role. You also have to remember that the competencies cover more than just the technical aspects of engineering so a governance role or a H&S role can be relevant.

I think that if you can relate it to a UK Spec competence then there is a degree of justification in counting it as contributing to CPD. Learning to fly may have some aspects (are you learning aerodynamics, are there safety issues you are learning, etc.?) but I must admit that learning Italian is a bit of a challenge to relate to CPD.....

I would certainly consider learning to fly as being more useful in terms of CPD than reading some of the articles in the magazine (though not all). However please don't rely on my opinion as being a definitive answer in terms of boundaries. Perhaps the last word on this (at least in this post) should be from UK Spec (note: my highlighting)

CPD can also take a variety of different forms. At its heart is informal learning through the challenges and opportunities of working life, and interaction with others

Alasdair
Children
No Data