This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

CPD for retired registrants

Hi,

This old chestnut came up yet again at our LN AGM yesterday, I just wondered if anyone - including CPD assessors - had any good suggestions of likely but perhaps not obvious CPD activities that retired members should consider claiming if asked?

The chap who started the discussion does voluntary work refurbishing old pieces of equipment for a heritage railway - which often involves him having to work out how they are supposed to work first! - and also edits a local classic car club newsletter. I assured him that he at least wouldn't have a problem! But it's interesting that he felt concerned enough to ask.

Cheers,

Andy
Parents
  • Roy, 

I'm in agreement with your overall sentiments and the bulk,  if not all,  of the detail of your post.  I just have one very practical question, though,  as with part of your post,  it's possibly slightly off- topic as it relates to a professionally active Engineer,  whereas this thread is specifically about retired engineers,  however,  I'll go ahead and apologies to anybody who feels it doesn't belong here. 

As you see it,  would I be right to assume that you would anticipate any such professional review for direct employees to be undertaken by a manager or peer within their employer's organisation? If so,  I'm not saying that this is wrong,  but think there are two possible 'health warnings' attached,  firstly that the quality/ adequacy of the review may be highly variable,  secondly that employers may use this as a route to implement other agendas - I've certainly seen a number of such instances. 

However,  my bigger practical question is whether or not there could be the option for the Institute to provide such a service,  either from volunteers,  or even on a paid basis? I ask this as contract workers such as myself have a particular problem with this as,  on the left field,  we have HMRC, who are looking for every opportunity to find evidence of control in order to deem us as disguised employees,  and this is one of the key areas in which they do so - to have a professional review from within your client organisation is seen as a key demonstrator of control lying with the client. For this reason,  I continue to be self- regulating. 

I would happily embrace a professional review with an independent peer if it were available, and wonder if this is one element of support that the Institute could provide.
  • Roy, 

I'm in agreement with your overall sentiments and the bulk,  if not all,  of the detail of your post.  I just have one very practical question, though,  as with part of your post,  it's possibly slightly off- topic as it relates to a professionally active Engineer,  whereas this thread is specifically about retired engineers,  however,  I'll go ahead and apologies to anybody who feels it doesn't belong here. 

As you see it,  would I be right to assume that you would anticipate any such professional review for direct employees to be undertaken by a manager or peer within their employer's organisation? If so,  I'm not saying that this is wrong,  but think there are two possible 'health warnings' attached,  firstly that the quality/ adequacy of the review may be highly variable,  secondly that employers may use this as a route to implement other agendas - I've certainly seen a number of such instances. 

However,  my bigger practical question is whether or not there could be the option for the Institute to provide such a service,  either from volunteers,  or even on a paid basis? I ask this as contract workers such as myself have a particular problem with this as,  on the left field,  we have HMRC, who are looking for every opportunity to find evidence of control in order to deem us as disguised employees,  and this is one of the key areas in which they do so - to have a professional review from within your client organisation is seen as a key demonstrator of control lying with the client. For this reason,  I continue to be self- regulating. 

I would happily embrace a professional review with an independent peer if it were available, and wonder if this is one element of support that the Institute could provide.
Children
No Data