This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

CPD for retired registrants

Hi,

This old chestnut came up yet again at our LN AGM yesterday, I just wondered if anyone - including CPD assessors - had any good suggestions of likely but perhaps not obvious CPD activities that retired members should consider claiming if asked?

The chap who started the discussion does voluntary work refurbishing old pieces of equipment for a heritage railway - which often involves him having to work out how they are supposed to work first! - and also edits a local classic car club newsletter. I assured him that he at least wouldn't have a problem! But it's interesting that he felt concerned enough to ask.

Cheers,

Andy
Parents
  • Roy,

Good to see you active here again.  I have tried on several occasions to float the idea of a “review service”, with very experienced registration volunteers and senior IET staff.  My idea was a “lite” version of a registration assessment, with a narrative outcome, giving development recommendations. The frame of reference is, to “nurture and support” not “control and police”.  No one I spoke to was hostile, but resources and costs were major concerns. New  registrations are currently going through in large numbers and this must have higher priority.

Returning to my frame of reference it was; how can we serve our members better and enhance the value of their registration? You raise the important issue that employers, especially those who work with the IET are a crucial part of this.  I wasn’t envisaging a link with employer’s mechanisms for employee development and for a someone in stable employment with a good employer, a review by their professional body may be superfluous. Also as an employer I would be very wary of “divided loyalties” or “different priorities”. In its current form our proposition works well for “professional consultancy”, or R&D , but far less well for some other business models. I touched on this in my previous comments about attitudes towards those who are not CEng from within PEIs. I have past experience of my organisation’s highly successful engineers being advised to “move on” if they wanted to get CEng.

If I stick to the main point, which is adding value to Chartered Engineers who are not in a “traditional” long-term employment relationship including those who are “retired” (whatever that means these days); then what can the IET do? Over recent years a series of support packages have been developed for early career Engineers and Technicians, which I hope everyone agrees is a very high priority (the average CEng is nearly 60 years old).  Perhaps the majority of older registrants, see us as handing out prescriptive rules and policing compliance. I would like to creative a different culture, where registration expresses a desire to grow by learning.  This is rather different to “rule following” by accumulating hours etc.

In a sense my idea is that if instead of accumulating hours at lectures (I have plenty by the way), someone can develop a personal portfolio, or ongoing “essay” outlining their competence and professional growth. They then have the option of discussing this with professional peers and getting feedback.  Who could predict or prescribe this chartered engineer professional career path?  https://www.parliament.uk/business/news/2019/october/new-serjeant-at-arms/

• Roy,

Good to see you active here again.  I have tried on several occasions to float the idea of a “review service”, with very experienced registration volunteers and senior IET staff.  My idea was a “lite” version of a registration assessment, with a narrative outcome, giving development recommendations. The frame of reference is, to “nurture and support” not “control and police”.  No one I spoke to was hostile, but resources and costs were major concerns. New  registrations are currently going through in large numbers and this must have higher priority.

Returning to my frame of reference it was; how can we serve our members better and enhance the value of their registration? You raise the important issue that employers, especially those who work with the IET are a crucial part of this.  I wasn’t envisaging a link with employer’s mechanisms for employee development and for a someone in stable employment with a good employer, a review by their professional body may be superfluous. Also as an employer I would be very wary of “divided loyalties” or “different priorities”. In its current form our proposition works well for “professional consultancy”, or R&D , but far less well for some other business models. I touched on this in my previous comments about attitudes towards those who are not CEng from within PEIs. I have past experience of my organisation’s highly successful engineers being advised to “move on” if they wanted to get CEng.

If I stick to the main point, which is adding value to Chartered Engineers who are not in a “traditional” long-term employment relationship including those who are “retired” (whatever that means these days); then what can the IET do? Over recent years a series of support packages have been developed for early career Engineers and Technicians, which I hope everyone agrees is a very high priority (the average CEng is nearly 60 years old).  Perhaps the majority of older registrants, see us as handing out prescriptive rules and policing compliance. I would like to creative a different culture, where registration expresses a desire to grow by learning.  This is rather different to “rule following” by accumulating hours etc.

In a sense my idea is that if instead of accumulating hours at lectures (I have plenty by the way), someone can develop a personal portfolio, or ongoing “essay” outlining their competence and professional growth. They then have the option of discussing this with professional peers and getting feedback.  Who could predict or prescribe this chartered engineer professional career path?  https://www.parliament.uk/business/news/2019/october/new-serjeant-at-arms/

Children
No Data