This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

CPD for retired registrants

Hi,

This old chestnut came up yet again at our LN AGM yesterday, I just wondered if anyone - including CPD assessors - had any good suggestions of likely but perhaps not obvious CPD activities that retired members should consider claiming if asked?

The chap who started the discussion does voluntary work refurbishing old pieces of equipment for a heritage railway - which often involves him having to work out how they are supposed to work first! - and also edits a local classic car club newsletter. I assured him that he at least wouldn't have a problem! But it's interesting that he felt concerned enough to ask.

Cheers,

Andy
Parents

• Andy Millar:

... retired members are expected to show a nominal 10 hours per year if asked? 

I think also the 'if asked' is relevant. I read somewhere on the EC website that PEIs need not include retired registrants in the sample, but typically I can't find it now. However if you read the EC policy for sampling of registrants it specifically states 'Registrants who are not professionally active (e.g. retired or on a career break) may request exemption from a sample'. (https://www.engc.org.uk/engcdocuments/internet/website/CPD%20Policy%20Statement.pdf)

This is not something the IET has ever publicised, possibly intentionally, as I do think that their policy of 10 hours per year is a reasonable target but if during some year a retired member fails to reach that target (which could happen due to a long term hospital visit or similar outside the individual's control) and happens to be targeted in the sampling that year then it does provide a "get out of jail free" card.

Alasdair

• Andy Millar:

... retired members are expected to show a nominal 10 hours per year if asked? 

I think also the 'if asked' is relevant. I read somewhere on the EC website that PEIs need not include retired registrants in the sample, but typically I can't find it now. However if you read the EC policy for sampling of registrants it specifically states 'Registrants who are not professionally active (e.g. retired or on a career break) may request exemption from a sample'. (https://www.engc.org.uk/engcdocuments/internet/website/CPD%20Policy%20Statement.pdf)

This is not something the IET has ever publicised, possibly intentionally, as I do think that their policy of 10 hours per year is a reasonable target but if during some year a retired member fails to reach that target (which could happen due to a long term hospital visit or similar outside the individual's control) and happens to be targeted in the sampling that year then it does provide a "get out of jail free" card.

Alasdair

Children
No Data