This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Electric Ferries

Certainly a good start and quite a good warts and all article for the BBC. I wonder how long it will take to scale up to the Cross Channel size ferries?

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-50233206

4-5 years payback, if realistic, is good.
Parents
  • The UK (at least Scotland) has had hybrid ferries for a number of years with CalMac operating between Skye and Raasay and in the Outer Hebrides (I can't remember which route, possibly North Uist to Harris, but it is a sister ship of the Skye/Raasay one. However Hybrid means engines plus (battery) electric propulsion and for the Scottish ferry it needs its engines during the week, but with fewer sailings on a Sunday (and thus less discharge/more recharging time) it can operate only on batteries.

Alasdair
  • The UK (at least Scotland) has had hybrid ferries for a number of years with CalMac operating between Skye and Raasay and in the Outer Hebrides (I can't remember which route, possibly North Uist to Harris, but it is a sister ship of the Skye/Raasay one. However Hybrid means engines plus (battery) electric propulsion and for the Scottish ferry it needs its engines during the week, but with fewer sailings on a Sunday (and thus less discharge/more recharging time) it can operate only on batteries.

Alasdair
Children
No Data