This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

ELECTRIC CHARGING POINTS ON MOTORWAYS

If we allow fully electric vehicles on our motorways then for sure some of them are going to fail going up a steep hill.  Should the highways agency be planning to install charging points at the bottom of all hills do you think??
Parents
  • I can offer the following opinions:

1) Since battery electric cars have a range of anything between 75 and 200 miles when carrying passengers and being driven normally and conventional cars offer anything from 300 milles to 600 miles then an electric car is 3 to 4 times more prone to break downs whilst hill climbing per 1000 miles of motoring, than a conventional car.

2) Two way charging points installed at home are now well developed and energy suppliers have been running Vehicle to Grid (V2G) trials with volunteers who have a Leaf, Zoe, i3 or similar for over 18 months in the UK - whereby the trialists get all their electric motoring for next to no cost due to the generous feed in tarrifs offered.

3)  From 1). above, it seems reasonable to state that the current crop of battery electric cars, with kerb weights between 1200 Kg and 1800 Kg, carrying almost exhausted battery packs ranging from 100Kg to 300 Kg, loosely based on conventional ICE engined bodies, subframes and cycle parts, are not designed to be suitable for any journeys beyond their real world range.

• I can offer the following opinions:

1) Since battery electric cars have a range of anything between 75 and 200 miles when carrying passengers and being driven normally and conventional cars offer anything from 300 milles to 600 miles then an electric car is 3 to 4 times more prone to break downs whilst hill climbing per 1000 miles of motoring, than a conventional car.

2) Two way charging points installed at home are now well developed and energy suppliers have been running Vehicle to Grid (V2G) trials with volunteers who have a Leaf, Zoe, i3 or similar for over 18 months in the UK - whereby the trialists get all their electric motoring for next to no cost due to the generous feed in tarrifs offered.

3)  From 1). above, it seems reasonable to state that the current crop of battery electric cars, with kerb weights between 1200 Kg and 1800 Kg, carrying almost exhausted battery packs ranging from 100Kg to 300 Kg, loosely based on conventional ICE engined bodies, subframes and cycle parts, are not designed to be suitable for any journeys beyond their real world range.

Children
No Data