This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Going green

The debate in another thread has shifted to the climate debate, so perhaps we should keep it separate.

Publication bias may be detected by what I think is called a funnel plot. Imagine a funnel lying on its side.

On the X-axis, you have the power of the study - high powered studies are nearer to the truth so they lie in the stem of the funnel.

On the Y-axis you have the finding of each study - whether the activity is beneficial or not. The middle of the neck of the funnel is the best estimate of the true value.

At the left of the plot, the wide bit of the funnel, lie low powered studies. Some will show that the activity is beneficial, some the reverse. So if you look at the risk of smoking, some low powered studies should have shown that it was beneficial. IIRC, studies showing that smoking was beneficial were not published. That may be because the authors chose not to submit, or editors chose not to accept.

I have no idea whether this sort of plot has been done for the climate debate, but it ought to have been.

I accept David Z's argument that the climate has warmed and cooled long before industry appeared (even on a Roman scale), but what bugs me is the doctrine that we cannot afford to get it wrong.

Does anybody here know how man-made energy compares with the amount which arrives from the sun?
Parents
  • Lisa,

I tend to agree that it doesn't seem to be right for the Wiring Regulations category, but you will have Roger suspecting a conspiracy as you moved it just after he commented that in the Wiring Regs category it might have more discussion than in the Savoy Place Virtual Club.

It has actually got me thinking as the Savoy Place Virtual Club doesn't seem to be the right category either. Should we have a new (additional) category for something like "International Engineering" or something similar?

Alasdair
  • Lisa,

I tend to agree that it doesn't seem to be right for the Wiring Regulations category, but you will have Roger suspecting a conspiracy as you moved it just after he commented that in the Wiring Regs category it might have more discussion than in the Savoy Place Virtual Club.

It has actually got me thinking as the Savoy Place Virtual Club doesn't seem to be the right category either. Should we have a new (additional) category for something like "International Engineering" or something similar?

Alasdair
Children
No Data