This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Goodbye Old King Coal Generation.

Old King Coal Generation was a merry old soul, 

But soon is not to be.....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-50520962

Z.

Parents
  • An interesting point Roy.

However I would like to discuss your feelings with reference to the way these two, and Engineers in general have to work, and how successful we are. Engineers are the people who actually solve problems rather than discussing them with wild theories. Bazalgette exactly understood the problem of waste in London and so could attack the problem and get the result necessary (given a lot of money of course). The same goes for coal pollution and smokeless coal. The problem of the climate change you mention, and why coal as a fuel has been picked out as bad is not defined at all. The emissions from modern coal plants are negligible under normal definitions but CO2 is considered bad. The theory as to why it may be bad is very shakey and the science behind it is far from proven, in fact the data show that it not bad at all. So we are being told to "Green" energy supplies in ways that are not known and quite possibly unnecessary. There is a huge risk that our Grid may become unusable and that electricity supplies may become intermittent (the push behind smart meters is not billing but local control of the supply to match load to availability, something which has never been tried before!). The total "carbon footprint" of wind turbines and solar PV panels is not considered in energy budgets as long as it reduces the visible fossil fuel useage. This is not a properly planned project as a whole, in fact many are waiting for some "miracle" invention to magically generate unlimited free "green" energy, a physical impossibility.

As an Engineer who has pioneered new technology all my career, I simply do not believe the political message cannot have a devastating outcome for all the people in this country. You will note that the politicians want to make everything electrically powered as they think think this sounds a good green agenda, but they have no idea where to get it from, or that demand is likely to multiply by several times with electric transport, space heating etc. I would like someone to tell me how they expect to make this work, and I will fill in the necessary engineering to make it happen, in the way of Bazalgette. The words of politicians are so far from reality that I worry considerably, they seem to want us back in the stone age. Of course water and sewage depend on continuous electrical supplies so we will starve, suffer disease, and die of thirst under these crazy proposals.

How do you feel?

Regards

David Stone CEng
  • An interesting point Roy.

However I would like to discuss your feelings with reference to the way these two, and Engineers in general have to work, and how successful we are. Engineers are the people who actually solve problems rather than discussing them with wild theories. Bazalgette exactly understood the problem of waste in London and so could attack the problem and get the result necessary (given a lot of money of course). The same goes for coal pollution and smokeless coal. The problem of the climate change you mention, and why coal as a fuel has been picked out as bad is not defined at all. The emissions from modern coal plants are negligible under normal definitions but CO2 is considered bad. The theory as to why it may be bad is very shakey and the science behind it is far from proven, in fact the data show that it not bad at all. So we are being told to "Green" energy supplies in ways that are not known and quite possibly unnecessary. There is a huge risk that our Grid may become unusable and that electricity supplies may become intermittent (the push behind smart meters is not billing but local control of the supply to match load to availability, something which has never been tried before!). The total "carbon footprint" of wind turbines and solar PV panels is not considered in energy budgets as long as it reduces the visible fossil fuel useage. This is not a properly planned project as a whole, in fact many are waiting for some "miracle" invention to magically generate unlimited free "green" energy, a physical impossibility.

As an Engineer who has pioneered new technology all my career, I simply do not believe the political message cannot have a devastating outcome for all the people in this country. You will note that the politicians want to make everything electrically powered as they think think this sounds a good green agenda, but they have no idea where to get it from, or that demand is likely to multiply by several times with electric transport, space heating etc. I would like someone to tell me how they expect to make this work, and I will fill in the necessary engineering to make it happen, in the way of Bazalgette. The words of politicians are so far from reality that I worry considerably, they seem to want us back in the stone age. Of course water and sewage depend on continuous electrical supplies so we will starve, suffer disease, and die of thirst under these crazy proposals.

How do you feel?

Regards

David Stone CEng
Children
No Data