This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

New £1.2bn supercomputer for Met Office as UK floods.

Former Community Member
Former Community Member
The Met Office is set to get a new £1.2bn supercomputer that it says will help the UK to better prepare for extreme weather events like the current flooding caused by Storm Dennis.
Data from this new supercomputer – which is expected to be the world’s most advanced dedicated solely to weather and climate – will be used to help more accurately predict storms, as well as identify the best locations for flood defenses and predict changes to the global climate. 
https://www.theengineer.co.uk/supercomputer-met-office-uk-floods/
Parents
  • I watched the report on the news last night and while they won't be able to predict further into the future (due to limitations in the algorithms) they will be able to predict much more accurately where the rain will fall (100m squares instead of 1.5km squares) and thus be more accurate with the flood predictions.

I can't help feeling that it doesn't really provide that much help - being told "Your house is likely to flood - get out!" is not a lot different from "Your house is going to flood - get out!" and much worse than either is "Your house is going to flood because we spent the money on a Met Office computer instead of local flood defences."

Alasdair
  • I watched the report on the news last night and while they won't be able to predict further into the future (due to limitations in the algorithms) they will be able to predict much more accurately where the rain will fall (100m squares instead of 1.5km squares) and thus be more accurate with the flood predictions.

I can't help feeling that it doesn't really provide that much help - being told "Your house is likely to flood - get out!" is not a lot different from "Your house is going to flood - get out!" and much worse than either is "Your house is going to flood because we spent the money on a Met Office computer instead of local flood defences."

Alasdair
Children
No Data