This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Why has discussion on the alleged "Climate Emergency" been shut down?

I want to know why, and who shut down the most viewed topic in the Club forum. Its Engineering content is obvious, and very large indeed. The answer to the problem is supposedly Electricity, and yet we cannot discuss it!
Parents
  • I think some children are not exposed to enough realistic "scary stuff" to be able to handle adulthood. Rather as one hardens off seedlings by putting them out in the cold frame from the greenhouse and then plants them out, the transition from having your nose wiped by someone else to becoming a well rounded adult capable of navigating the successes and failures that are part of the natural order needs to be a controlled process requiring some setbacks and scary moments to calibrate the sensors properly.  There is some truth in 'what does not kill you makes you stronger' Clearly it needs some sensible interpretation , and an avoidance of the worst excesses of stupidity, but within that, there is quite a broad success path humans have been managing for millennia. Thinks like getting lost in town, and hopefully found again, minor burns, death of pets, spending hours cooking and producing something disappointingly inedible etc are all important rites of passage. Omit too many of them and when a real problem comes along the character is brittle and falls apart.

Nearer to the OP of this topic, some times social progress is not forwards, and it is important to question the political decisions, and the thinking in behind them.  I find we are sometimes not in agreement in the details on here, but actually that is very healthy, and an indication that there is indeed quite a bit of uncertainty in what the rather limited climate data we have is really saying. Th climate situation is not as black and white as many pundits make out, and syncophantic behaviour to any 'trend'  and the dispassionate application of science required to keep the societal machine running smoothly are not good partners. I still think it is not bad thing to err on the side of more efficient use of energy and reducing emissions and so forth, but let us be honest about why, and the uncertainties about the likely effect if we do or do not.

Oh, and I too suspect threadlock has something to  do with some kind of misplaced political embarrassment rather than solely the stated reason. Plenty of other threads wander off-topic, it is something of a specialty here, and again not in itself unhealthy.

• I think some children are not exposed to enough realistic "scary stuff" to be able to handle adulthood. Rather as one hardens off seedlings by putting them out in the cold frame from the greenhouse and then plants them out, the transition from having your nose wiped by someone else to becoming a well rounded adult capable of navigating the successes and failures that are part of the natural order needs to be a controlled process requiring some setbacks and scary moments to calibrate the sensors properly.  There is some truth in 'what does not kill you makes you stronger' Clearly it needs some sensible interpretation , and an avoidance of the worst excesses of stupidity, but within that, there is quite a broad success path humans have been managing for millennia. Thinks like getting lost in town, and hopefully found again, minor burns, death of pets, spending hours cooking and producing something disappointingly inedible etc are all important rites of passage. Omit too many of them and when a real problem comes along the character is brittle and falls apart.

Nearer to the OP of this topic, some times social progress is not forwards, and it is important to question the political decisions, and the thinking in behind them.  I find we are sometimes not in agreement in the details on here, but actually that is very healthy, and an indication that there is indeed quite a bit of uncertainty in what the rather limited climate data we have is really saying. Th climate situation is not as black and white as many pundits make out, and syncophantic behaviour to any 'trend'  and the dispassionate application of science required to keep the societal machine running smoothly are not good partners. I still think it is not bad thing to err on the side of more efficient use of energy and reducing emissions and so forth, but let us be honest about why, and the uncertainties about the likely effect if we do or do not.

Oh, and I too suspect threadlock has something to  do with some kind of misplaced political embarrassment rather than solely the stated reason. Plenty of other threads wander off-topic, it is something of a specialty here, and again not in itself unhealthy.

Children
No Data