This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Why has discussion on the alleged "Climate Emergency" been shut down?

I want to know why, and who shut down the most viewed topic in the Club forum. Its Engineering content is obvious, and very large indeed. The answer to the problem is supposedly Electricity, and yet we cannot discuss it!
Parents
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member

whjohnson:

Then, I'd build some nuclear power plants.

Finally, I'd get the Welsh to stop singing in the valleys and get some coal dug up instead!

There - problem solved!

Personally, I think we need to be looking in much more detail, to the capability of small modular reactors, and the ability to deploy these fairly rapidly across the patch. If the Jocks don't want a nuclear Scotland, then we can relocate Faslane and let them get on with it with wind and wave power.

Having been involved in digging up coal in a previous life, I wouldn't go back there - but I'm sure the Taffs would be happy to house a few SMR's

Energy policy needs of course a basketful of existing and emerging technologies, a lot of which should be renewable - but getting the baseload under control reliably and with good security (including security of the fuel) has to be more important than the dash for all things green. 

Keep "greening" the grid for sure - but in a controlled and measured way, rather than the short term "build for cash" philosophy we have at the moment

Regards

OMS
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member

whjohnson:

Then, I'd build some nuclear power plants.

Finally, I'd get the Welsh to stop singing in the valleys and get some coal dug up instead!

There - problem solved!

Personally, I think we need to be looking in much more detail, to the capability of small modular reactors, and the ability to deploy these fairly rapidly across the patch. If the Jocks don't want a nuclear Scotland, then we can relocate Faslane and let them get on with it with wind and wave power.

Having been involved in digging up coal in a previous life, I wouldn't go back there - but I'm sure the Taffs would be happy to house a few SMR's

Energy policy needs of course a basketful of existing and emerging technologies, a lot of which should be renewable - but getting the baseload under control reliably and with good security (including security of the fuel) has to be more important than the dash for all things green. 

Keep "greening" the grid for sure - but in a controlled and measured way, rather than the short term "build for cash" philosophy we have at the moment

Regards

OMS
Children
No Data