This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Correcting colour blindness with metasurface contact lenses

Interesting article in E&T today.

I'm sure we've all seen those viral videos of colour blind individuals being given and putting on glasses meant to help them to see the 'real' colours of the world. Now researchers have developed contact lenses designed for those with deuteranomaly, the form of colour blindness that makes it difficult to differentiate between red and green.
Parents
  • Thanks, David, for relating your experience at the BBC, who clearly take colour vision seriously. The Ishihara is OK as an initial test and those that achieve an all-correct score are unlikely to have colour vision problems; they have passed both colour recognition and shape recognition. For those that achieve more of a mixed score it is appropriate to refer them to another test such as the Farnsworth. This is, as you relate, a tough test, but if it were not tough it would not be much good. My general view of any test, as one who spent a chunk of my career in education, is that if eight participants out of ten score 100% it is not much of a test.
  • Thanks, David, for relating your experience at the BBC, who clearly take colour vision seriously. The Ishihara is OK as an initial test and those that achieve an all-correct score are unlikely to have colour vision problems; they have passed both colour recognition and shape recognition. For those that achieve more of a mixed score it is appropriate to refer them to another test such as the Farnsworth. This is, as you relate, a tough test, but if it were not tough it would not be much good. My general view of any test, as one who spent a chunk of my career in education, is that if eight participants out of ten score 100% it is not much of a test.
Children
No Data