This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Coronavirus.

We have been advised not to go to pubs and restaurants, cinemas and other public places, to protect ourselves and others from the Coronavirus. Are we still able to work? Can we still obtain stock? Will we continue to visit workplaces like offices, shops or homes? Will we be provided  with fiscal support if we can not trade, especially if we are self employed?

University College London is predicting up to 250,000 potential fatalities from Coronavirus in the U.K.

How does the pandemic affect you?

Whaddaufink?

Z.

Parents
  • I think for the first time in a lifetime pretty much, we are facing a truly existential problem, i.e. one that puts at risk the very existence of life as we know it.

And the threat is not fully known, so the duration of such measures may be days weeks months or years. The last two would be very serious for all of us.

Government advice is just that, advice, but your local conditions may vary - just because in one house someone is infected does not mean a job in the next town is dangerous today, though it may be next week.

Until told otherwise, I'd assume that work does count as 'necessary travel', certainly the  more emergency calls, but even so , before setting off I'd start by calling to ask customers if they have any symptoms themselves or immediate family, and and if they still want us to come.

Leaving those jobs to later in the year or considering stop gap solutions

- "here is a plug in table lamp, I'll come back and fix the lights and take it away when you feel better.. " . 

Similarly, avoiding hugging and kissing random strangers is probably good, but in our line of work and this country, that won't be too difficult.?

If things run on for long enough , then running low on stocks of parts may become an issue. We have seen loo roll shortages, but these are just a flash panic. Real shortages of light bulbs, or brass for terminals, or wire, or something may come eventually, but that will be slow to manifest and hopefully obvious enough that we will have time to adjust to that.

I for one am really wondering about where this will go, and I am not self employed,  and am relatively lucky(*), my feelings go out to those who are.

If there are to be a quarter million excess deaths over a year or so, that is bad but bearable - after all in a perfectly normal year we lose a million or so in the UK.

If it is all over a few weeks it probably isn't.

* for me personally, the biggest hit so far has been The Scout Association advising all groups to stop meeting, but clearly that is the tip of the iceberg and trivial in the greater process.

• I think for the first time in a lifetime pretty much, we are facing a truly existential problem, i.e. one that puts at risk the very existence of life as we know it.

And the threat is not fully known, so the duration of such measures may be days weeks months or years. The last two would be very serious for all of us.

Government advice is just that, advice, but your local conditions may vary - just because in one house someone is infected does not mean a job in the next town is dangerous today, though it may be next week.

Until told otherwise, I'd assume that work does count as 'necessary travel', certainly the  more emergency calls, but even so , before setting off I'd start by calling to ask customers if they have any symptoms themselves or immediate family, and and if they still want us to come.

Leaving those jobs to later in the year or considering stop gap solutions

- "here is a plug in table lamp, I'll come back and fix the lights and take it away when you feel better.. " . 

Similarly, avoiding hugging and kissing random strangers is probably good, but in our line of work and this country, that won't be too difficult.?

If things run on for long enough , then running low on stocks of parts may become an issue. We have seen loo roll shortages, but these are just a flash panic. Real shortages of light bulbs, or brass for terminals, or wire, or something may come eventually, but that will be slow to manifest and hopefully obvious enough that we will have time to adjust to that.

I for one am really wondering about where this will go, and I am not self employed,  and am relatively lucky(*), my feelings go out to those who are.

If there are to be a quarter million excess deaths over a year or so, that is bad but bearable - after all in a perfectly normal year we lose a million or so in the UK.

If it is all over a few weeks it probably isn't.

* for me personally, the biggest hit so far has been The Scout Association advising all groups to stop meeting, but clearly that is the tip of the iceberg and trivial in the greater process.

Children
No Data