This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Covid-19: Meeting the challenges through Engineering

I was president of the IET for 2016-17, and have been asked by government to gather practical and innovative ideas from our Engineering communities. So, please enter any ideas you might have in this thread that might help address and mitigate the Covid-19 crisis. Ideas might include digital tracking / monitoring through therapy equipment and beyond. Even ideas outside your usual expertise domain will be welcome. Now’s the time for Engineering to show we can change the world!
Parents
  • i think Andy's hit the nail on the head here.

Andy Millar:

If the PEIs and EC could facilitate links between suppliers of medical equipment who are unable to meet demand, and manufacturers with strong experience in safety critical / mission critical equipment who could subcontract supply them then that would be a great service.

.... The challenge is helping the right people find each other

I had the same thought earlier after seeing this update from KTN: ktn-uk.co.uk/.../covid-19-response-from-ktn stating

...we’ll be working with Innovate UK and other organisations to try and connect those of The government is looking for businesses who can support in the supply of ventilators and ventilator components across the UKyou able to respond or adapt to the UK’s new challenges. From rapid scaling up of the manufacture of ventilators (if you can help, click here for details of how to apply) and other medical supplies, to supporting the wider population and economy to adapt to face challenging new situations.

The linked government web page states:

The government is looking for businesses who can support in the supply of ventilators and ventilator components across the UK...

but there's no information to indicate what constitutes "ventilator components". I can see two problems with this: 1/ companies won't know if they have something useful, 2/ it will lead to unsuitable companies offering help, thus wasting time triaging applications.

The Manufacturer also has a blog page claiming to have "all the information you need", but it merely restates what's on the government's page.

The IET, other professional institutions and their respective publication channels could play an important role via our expert panels and wider networks collating and reviewing information to make sure it is useful from a technical perspective and keeping it up to date.
  • i think Andy's hit the nail on the head here.

Andy Millar:

If the PEIs and EC could facilitate links between suppliers of medical equipment who are unable to meet demand, and manufacturers with strong experience in safety critical / mission critical equipment who could subcontract supply them then that would be a great service.

.... The challenge is helping the right people find each other

I had the same thought earlier after seeing this update from KTN: ktn-uk.co.uk/.../covid-19-response-from-ktn stating

...we’ll be working with Innovate UK and other organisations to try and connect those of The government is looking for businesses who can support in the supply of ventilators and ventilator components across the UKyou able to respond or adapt to the UK’s new challenges. From rapid scaling up of the manufacture of ventilators (if you can help, click here for details of how to apply) and other medical supplies, to supporting the wider population and economy to adapt to face challenging new situations.

The linked government web page states:

The government is looking for businesses who can support in the supply of ventilators and ventilator components across the UK...

but there's no information to indicate what constitutes "ventilator components". I can see two problems with this: 1/ companies won't know if they have something useful, 2/ it will lead to unsuitable companies offering help, thus wasting time triaging applications.

The Manufacturer also has a blog page claiming to have "all the information you need", but it merely restates what's on the government's page.

The IET, other professional institutions and their respective publication channels could play an important role via our expert panels and wider networks collating and reviewing information to make sure it is useful from a technical perspective and keeping it up to date.
Children
No Data