This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

What are we going to do about the COVID-2X and COVID-3X World wide Pandemics?

The big question is how society is going to change as multiple waves of COVID-19 and new viruses appear over the next 20 years.

Business models supporting sharing of physical objects appear to be in jeopardy (example "ride sharing" transportation). 

Peter Brooks MIET

Palm Bay Florida USA
Parents
  • You make a very good point Peter, your situation in Central XCalifornia/DeleteX Florida, particularly with regard to the impact of severe weather events, forces me to consider a wider range of possibilities and demands regarding the suitability of battery electric cars as the best available mode and technology, as a substitute for fossil fuelled personal transportation. I understand that the laws in certain US States such as California, have mandated zero emission cars for many years and so it is perhaps a pity to see the production of lighter weight battery electric vehicles currently limited to just electric bikes and electric motorcycles. It would be good to see some lightweight cars produced for our evaluation for future use in the New Normal, post Covid - 19. My wife has an excellent 250watt/400Wh electric bicycle with a range of only 60 miles and top pedal assisted speed of just 15.5 mph so no good for escaping hurricanes. EM has produced some very exciting cars which really must be exhilarating to drive. Maybe his next long range model should be called 'The Storm Chaser' :-).
    Possible Solution to Overcrowding on Public Transport

I am very much in favour of your proposal Peter " Another solution is to disperse the main offices to remote multiple locations around London with good transport connections (examples Hammersmith, Barking etc) and use upgraded communications between them." This is what many office workers, knowledge workers etc have been doing by working remotely from a central office during the past 5 months in the UK. Maybe 'home working' is not ideal for everyone, some have complained about lack of air conditioning at home. For many years, my 'Go Green get on your Bike' proposals have been rejected by this IET Community, namely that many regional/local offices should be set up for remote working - as a solution to significantly improve air quality, reduce greenhouse gas production, alleviate daily traffic jams, increase personal leisure time and improve general health and well being - so maybe at least this awful Covid Pandemic has pointed to a better way forward for human society?

• You make a very good point Peter, your situation in Central XCalifornia/DeleteX Florida, particularly with regard to the impact of severe weather events, forces me to consider a wider range of possibilities and demands regarding the suitability of battery electric cars as the best available mode and technology, as a substitute for fossil fuelled personal transportation. I understand that the laws in certain US States such as California, have mandated zero emission cars for many years and so it is perhaps a pity to see the production of lighter weight battery electric vehicles currently limited to just electric bikes and electric motorcycles. It would be good to see some lightweight cars produced for our evaluation for future use in the New Normal, post Covid - 19. My wife has an excellent 250watt/400Wh electric bicycle with a range of only 60 miles and top pedal assisted speed of just 15.5 mph so no good for escaping hurricanes. EM has produced some very exciting cars which really must be exhilarating to drive. Maybe his next long range model should be called 'The Storm Chaser' :-).
    Possible Solution to Overcrowding on Public Transport

I am very much in favour of your proposal Peter " Another solution is to disperse the main offices to remote multiple locations around London with good transport connections (examples Hammersmith, Barking etc) and use upgraded communications between them." This is what many office workers, knowledge workers etc have been doing by working remotely from a central office during the past 5 months in the UK. Maybe 'home working' is not ideal for everyone, some have complained about lack of air conditioning at home. For many years, my 'Go Green get on your Bike' proposals have been rejected by this IET Community, namely that many regional/local offices should be set up for remote working - as a solution to significantly improve air quality, reduce greenhouse gas production, alleviate daily traffic jams, increase personal leisure time and improve general health and well being - so maybe at least this awful Covid Pandemic has pointed to a better way forward for human society?

Children
No Data