This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Don’t touch

Covid 19 has devastated the economy so perhaps in the interest of assisting in the mitigation of any similar reoccurrence, it might be prudent to consider minimising the the need to touch items to get them to function. This has been underway for quite some time where, for example, in heavily trafficked areas such as airports, faucets are electronically controlled. Maybe now is the time to regulate. I have been involved with design of licensed premises such as hotels and pubs for over 30 years. Budgets are often loosened for aesthetics and tightened for the functional side. Rarely would a design for automatic taps get client approval although it would do if they were mandatory. How daft is it to go to the expense of such items and then require a visitor to the toilets to pull a door handle to effect an exit?

it is good to see automatic operation of lighting becoming commonplace, probably due to building regulation requirements but I am sure that there are many other things that we could do to reduce the need to touch things to get them to work.
Parents
  • Zoomup:

A newspaper reporter recently observed that a good germ spreader is the Doctor's surgery electronic check in screen where all the ill have to touch the pad to check in.

Z.

That's the trouble with touch screens. They're a huge spreader of germs! Tea/coffee vending machines (such as those in many offices) and PDQ machines in shops are another. 

You can get around the PDQ machines rather easily with contact less payments  (I haven't paid cash for anything since I embraced 'Apple Pay' a few years ago) but the coffee machine is another matter!!! ?

However, I was thinking the other day, why can't you make vending machines voice controlled? "Coffee, white, one sugar.... please...." ? Or even app controlled where you can select your drink via an app on your phone, then scan the code at the machine to vend it. ? Coffee

• Zoomup:

A newspaper reporter recently observed that a good germ spreader is the Doctor's surgery electronic check in screen where all the ill have to touch the pad to check in.

Z.

That's the trouble with touch screens. They're a huge spreader of germs! Tea/coffee vending machines (such as those in many offices) and PDQ machines in shops are another. 

You can get around the PDQ machines rather easily with contact less payments  (I haven't paid cash for anything since I embraced 'Apple Pay' a few years ago) but the coffee machine is another matter!!! ?

However, I was thinking the other day, why can't you make vending machines voice controlled? "Coffee, white, one sugar.... please...." ? Or even app controlled where you can select your drink via an app on your phone, then scan the code at the machine to vend it. ? Coffee

Children
No Data