This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

V.E. Day Gratitude.

V.E. Day Gratitude.

"Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few."

WINSTON CHURCHILL.

Z.
Parents
  • "the few" applies to ALL who served Britain during the Second World War Andy

I'm sure it seems to us, now that so few remain, that only a "few" took part - but at the time I'm sure it felt far from that. It was "total war" with just about everyone at the time, civilian was well as military, making some significant contribution (voluntarily or otherwise). Even my mother (6 years old at the time) had to give up her family to be 'evacuated' to strangers hundreds of miles from home.

These days, even during this pandemic, it's difficult to appreciate quite how lucky we really are.

- Andy.
  • "the few" applies to ALL who served Britain during the Second World War Andy

I'm sure it seems to us, now that so few remain, that only a "few" took part - but at the time I'm sure it felt far from that. It was "total war" with just about everyone at the time, civilian was well as military, making some significant contribution (voluntarily or otherwise). Even my mother (6 years old at the time) had to give up her family to be 'evacuated' to strangers hundreds of miles from home.

These days, even during this pandemic, it's difficult to appreciate quite how lucky we really are.

- Andy.
Children
No Data