This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Type A (61508) Safety Pressure Differential Transmitter

Anyone know where I can get a pressure differential transmitter with 4-20mA output for a safety application that is classed as a Type A device as defined in BS EN 61508?
Parents
  • Thank you Michael.

Unfortunately this is for a nuclear application and any SMART device has to undergo an EMPHASIS assessment for use in a nuclear safety application, this is an extremely detailed assessment and cost a lot of money and time.  Furthermore, even with EMPHASIS certification, which some devices have i.e. Siemens DSIII, the devices cannot be used in a redundant configuration to support a single safety function due to the nature of common cause failure in the software. 

I am trying to specify a 2oo3 system to support a single safety function as such I need to know if I can get Type A devices, if not then a completely different approach will be needed, which is looking the way it is going to have to go.

Rob 

• Thank you Michael.

Unfortunately this is for a nuclear application and any SMART device has to undergo an EMPHASIS assessment for use in a nuclear safety application, this is an extremely detailed assessment and cost a lot of money and time.  Furthermore, even with EMPHASIS certification, which some devices have i.e. Siemens DSIII, the devices cannot be used in a redundant configuration to support a single safety function due to the nature of common cause failure in the software. 

I am trying to specify a 2oo3 system to support a single safety function as such I need to know if I can get Type A devices, if not then a completely different approach will be needed, which is looking the way it is going to have to go.

Rob 

Children
No Data