This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

What could be done to combat speeding on our roads?

There have been many reports of motorists using the lack of traffic on the roads during the Covid19 lockdown to flout the speed limits and now with more traffic back on the roads there is a danger that some may continue to drive at excessive speeds even after things are back to ‘normal’.

Behavioural Science in transportation (understanding the behaviour and motivations of transport users such as motorists and rail commuters etc) is a fascinating subject which plays a big part in the engineering and design of roads and their ‘furniture’ in an attempt to gently persuade drivers to modify their driving behaviour to something more appropriate. 

There are many such psychological tactics in place to combat speeding but could we be doing more? What other engineering solutions could be implemented to stop excessive speeding? How do different countries tackle speeding on their roads? What could we learn from them? 

Parents
  • Generally I don't agree entirely with the driverless car idea , I can see all sorts of problems with it and a lot of bus drivers will lose there jobs. I like driving but I think we should be keen about different driving environments , speeding in built up areas is pretty much done and dusted , but so many motorists have no consideration for countryside driving where all sort of slow objects can appear out of no where. . In car monitoring will be pushed through , but what if you can disable it or hack it , or if you are in an emergency and need to escape ,, or even hack the car and control it ?? The speed idiots are probebely young kids thinking they are immortal ,last time I was on a motorway everyone was doing 90
  • Generally I don't agree entirely with the driverless car idea , I can see all sorts of problems with it and a lot of bus drivers will lose there jobs. I like driving but I think we should be keen about different driving environments , speeding in built up areas is pretty much done and dusted , but so many motorists have no consideration for countryside driving where all sort of slow objects can appear out of no where. . In car monitoring will be pushed through , but what if you can disable it or hack it , or if you are in an emergency and need to escape ,, or even hack the car and control it ?? The speed idiots are probebely young kids thinking they are immortal ,last time I was on a motorway everyone was doing 90
Children
No Data