This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

WebCam microphone issues

I need a webcam urgently for a remote meeting.

First one I bought had good video, but very low level sound - both with WebEx and using https://webcamtests.com/ for testing. My PC being Win7 Pro. Same problem with my wife's Win 10 PC.

So back it went to Amazon for a different make.

That arrived today and has the same problem with https://webcamtests.com/ so whilst it could be both mine and my wife's pc's, it could be that my voice is too soft?

My question therefore is do I go for a USB or a 3.5 mm jack microphone instead and will I have any issues with there being two microphones connected to the PC. I am hoping that I can select either mic in the software of WebEx or whatever other software I get to use.

So which is reccomended, USB or 3.5mm jack?

Help!

Clive
Parents
  • I had a problem with the sound when using the built in webcam for family Zoom conferences as to get everyone in the computer was too far away for the microphone to be effective (I also had to plug in external speakers). I plugged in a good quality microphone I got in about 1980 to the 3.5mm jack socket (with an adaptor) and it works fine. I have also used usb headsets and they give very good sound also.

The thing to beware of is the signal strength if you are on wi-fi. With a weaker signal the sound will break up quite readily. The picture will also freeze but the occasional freezing of the picture doesn't interfere with the meeting as much as the sound problems. The big problem with wi-fi sound is that the sound is sent as packets so if some of them fail the sound quality is buggered, while the picture quality is just the same, but frozen for a moment or two. It may well be that the problems you are encountering are due to wi-fi signal rather than being a microphone problem. I had problems prior to fitting a wi-fi booster.

Alasdair
  • I had a problem with the sound when using the built in webcam for family Zoom conferences as to get everyone in the computer was too far away for the microphone to be effective (I also had to plug in external speakers). I plugged in a good quality microphone I got in about 1980 to the 3.5mm jack socket (with an adaptor) and it works fine. I have also used usb headsets and they give very good sound also.

The thing to beware of is the signal strength if you are on wi-fi. With a weaker signal the sound will break up quite readily. The picture will also freeze but the occasional freezing of the picture doesn't interfere with the meeting as much as the sound problems. The big problem with wi-fi sound is that the sound is sent as packets so if some of them fail the sound quality is buggered, while the picture quality is just the same, but frozen for a moment or two. It may well be that the problems you are encountering are due to wi-fi signal rather than being a microphone problem. I had problems prior to fitting a wi-fi booster.

Alasdair
Children
No Data