This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Autonomous vehicles

Hi all friends,

I wanted to know if all garages that provide repair service are licensed to repair autonomous vehicles?

If not, please provide reasons.

I ask the community because if the garage has been authorized by the Ministry of Transport to repair cars I do not see it as a matter of training licensees for professional knowledge (of course up to a certain threshold), because the world of autonomy requires a good few years to know how the sensors work and I believe a person Normative In order to obtain permission for this, an employee with the rank of mechanical engineer from the automation section will be employed.

I would love to get factual and genuine answers that reflect actual reality
Parents
  • The problem has been identified in the UK and Thatcham Research is producing a set of rules for the repair of components affecting automatic driver assistance systems:
    https://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/car-industry-news/2020/07/31/insurance-industry-requirements-established-for-adas-equipped-vehicles

There are, however, many other safety related issues with motor vehicle maintenance. How do you confirm that the brake pads are correctly installed or that the wheel nuts have been tightened with the correct torque? Changing the brake pads would be considered a DIY job.

If a garage has worked on your ABS or ESP system how do you know it is functioning correctly? In case of an incident Professional Liability would apply but that might be too late for the vehicle occupants.

Why are the risks with autonomous vehicle any greater? The bigger question is 'Who is responsible when the vehicle is operating in autonomous mode?' Is it the manufacturer? Is it the owner? Is it the person legally in charge of the vehicle? The responsible person will be liable if the vehicle has not been properly maintained.

• The problem has been identified in the UK and Thatcham Research is producing a set of rules for the repair of components affecting automatic driver assistance systems:
    https://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/car-industry-news/2020/07/31/insurance-industry-requirements-established-for-adas-equipped-vehicles

There are, however, many other safety related issues with motor vehicle maintenance. How do you confirm that the brake pads are correctly installed or that the wheel nuts have been tightened with the correct torque? Changing the brake pads would be considered a DIY job.

If a garage has worked on your ABS or ESP system how do you know it is functioning correctly? In case of an incident Professional Liability would apply but that might be too late for the vehicle occupants.

Why are the risks with autonomous vehicle any greater? The bigger question is 'Who is responsible when the vehicle is operating in autonomous mode?' Is it the manufacturer? Is it the owner? Is it the person legally in charge of the vehicle? The responsible person will be liable if the vehicle has not been properly maintained.

Children
No Data