This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Need PRA Advise for C Eng - Mechanical ( Workshop Manager- Plant, Machinery & Vehicle)

Former Community Member
Former Community Member

Hi,

I'm in second stage of the registration process and my application has undergone a Pre-Interview Assessment. 

Following this assessment, it was considered that my application would be strengthened through additional evidence of competence and Underpinning Knowledge and Understanding (UK&U).

Using up to 1000 words, I have to describe a situation where I was responsible for significant innovation and creativity. I should clearly describe the application of technical knowledge and understanding and any research or investigations that I undertook. How I applied and use resources such as manpower, finance, and managed implementation should be clearly explained.

I'm working in the central workshop as workshop manager in a mega construction company and handling 3500+ fleet. A lots of innovative things I do during during discharging my regular duties. Specially for cost control of workshop and during  application of equipment at projects specially Tower and mobile cranes.

I'm seeking PRA advise and guide to support me in order to prepare the statement of evidence. PRA from same filed will be desirable.

More details will be pursued upon discussion.

With bast regards.

Tushar Kanti Mondal

B Eng, MIET, MBA (OM)

Edit: email address removed by Moderator
Parents
  • Hi,

A really important point is to remember the following from UKSpec (my highlight):
    Chartered Engineers develop solutions to engineering problems using new or existing technologies, through innovation, creativity and change and/or they may have technical accountability for complex systems with significant levels of risk.

This "or" is hugely important, and it has being emphasised to assessors and interviewers over the past couple of years. And of course it makes sense - we know that a very high percentage of CEngs are not working in R&D, they are working in significant roles in implementation projects in infrastructure, military, transportation etc engineering.

You can show responsibility as an alternative to innovation, BUT that must be for "complex systems with significant levels of risk". The way several of us have described it over the years is that you can't be just "doing it by the book", you need to show that you are taking a significant level of personal responsibility for an engineering solution, which would cause considerable loss if your judgement was wrong.

How to do this in a few words rather than a 1000? "I hold final responsibility for the technical authorisation into service for new build 2.6GW power station. Specifically I approve the following documents and processes..." Nothing commercially confidential or complicated to explain in there, but it's clear this is at the appropriate level.  The "specifically..." sentence is important, a government minister could claim (and they do!) that they authorised a power station to enter service, but it's usually not difficult to show in a couple of sentences what you actually had to take responsibility for, and that you must have had the appropriate knowledge to take that responsibility.

However, the main advice must be that you should contact a Professional Registration Adviser (preferably local to you if possible), it is pretty much impossible to give individual advice on these forums as cases vary so widely. https://www.theiet.org/career/professional-registration/getting-help-with-your-application/find-a-professional-registration-advisor/

Hope that helps,

Andy

• Hi,

A really important point is to remember the following from UKSpec (my highlight):
    Chartered Engineers develop solutions to engineering problems using new or existing technologies, through innovation, creativity and change and/or they may have technical accountability for complex systems with significant levels of risk.

This "or" is hugely important, and it has being emphasised to assessors and interviewers over the past couple of years. And of course it makes sense - we know that a very high percentage of CEngs are not working in R&D, they are working in significant roles in implementation projects in infrastructure, military, transportation etc engineering.

You can show responsibility as an alternative to innovation, BUT that must be for "complex systems with significant levels of risk". The way several of us have described it over the years is that you can't be just "doing it by the book", you need to show that you are taking a significant level of personal responsibility for an engineering solution, which would cause considerable loss if your judgement was wrong.

How to do this in a few words rather than a 1000? "I hold final responsibility for the technical authorisation into service for new build 2.6GW power station. Specifically I approve the following documents and processes..." Nothing commercially confidential or complicated to explain in there, but it's clear this is at the appropriate level.  The "specifically..." sentence is important, a government minister could claim (and they do!) that they authorised a power station to enter service, but it's usually not difficult to show in a couple of sentences what you actually had to take responsibility for, and that you must have had the appropriate knowledge to take that responsibility.

However, the main advice must be that you should contact a Professional Registration Adviser (preferably local to you if possible), it is pretty much impossible to give individual advice on these forums as cases vary so widely. https://www.theiet.org/career/professional-registration/getting-help-with-your-application/find-a-professional-registration-advisor/

Hope that helps,

Andy

Children
No Data