This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Plain Language Guide to Product Data for Manufacturers

Manufacturers produce a significant part of the information required to bring about a safer construction industry; but this information is currently not structured or shared in a consistent way.

If industry is to meet the challenges of a digital future, avoid a race to the bottom and respond to the requirements of a new building safety regulatory system, we need manufacturers to structure and share their data safely.

The IET is supporting a project to produce a Plain Language Guide to Product Data for Manufacturers in the UK and Europe.

Whilst the guide is being produced the editorial team is also publishing a series of blog posts on the IET website to raise discussion topics amongst manufacturers, and hosting a series of zoom calls, Find out more about this project and how you can get involved here.
Parents
  • Hi,

There's a coincidence, this last post came just us I was discussing (rather seriously) exactly this issue with a manufacturer, but not in the construction industry.

Are there any plans to broaden these articles out to other industries? In my case it happened to be the rail industry but I suspect most of these issues are generalisable across many industries, particularly those with significant safety responsibility through the supply chain - and these look very useful. Is there any reason why it was decided to focus these on the construction industry?

Certainly the issue on "structured data" in the "Why is product data important..." blog is exactly what I was just discussing!

Thanks,

Andy
  • Hi,

There's a coincidence, this last post came just us I was discussing (rather seriously) exactly this issue with a manufacturer, but not in the construction industry.

Are there any plans to broaden these articles out to other industries? In my case it happened to be the rail industry but I suspect most of these issues are generalisable across many industries, particularly those with significant safety responsibility through the supply chain - and these look very useful. Is there any reason why it was decided to focus these on the construction industry?

Certainly the issue on "structured data" in the "Why is product data important..." blog is exactly what I was just discussing!

Thanks,

Andy
Children
No Data