This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Electrification - long term thinking

This is a topic that has been discussed many, many time in the IET Railway Technical Network Executive Committee meetings, with lots of different views and opinions on what is needed and how it could work. Anyone got any thoughts on this?
Parents
  • This is a very broad topic, which may be the reason for lack of response so far.

Here in the south we tend to take electric railways for granted; they have been with us for a long time. Even so, things have not stood still. The introduction of newer trains with different driving characteristics has necessitated the installation of new substations along the routes.

Across the nation, over the years, we have seen the electrification of principal routes - the so-called west coast and east coast main lines. Ongoing is the Great Western electrification, behind schedule and over-budget. I'm sure it will be great when it is finished. What next? The electrification of the Trans-Pennine route is much discussed but when it will happen is anyone's guess.

On Tyneside, in the early 1960s, an electric system similar to the Southern Region third-rail system gave way to diesel. (Interestingly in this period also, trolley buses in the area were phased out.) In the early 1980s the lines were re-electrified to create the Tyneside Metro we know today. I don't think we'll see trolley buses again, but trams are making a come-back in modern form in several cities.

We have a mix of electrification systems - third rail and overhead line at 25 000 volts. The Eurostar trains cope admirably with both. There was a 2 500 volt overhead line system on the Manchester to Sheffield freight route, which gave way to diesel in the early 1980s. I understand that the locomotives were sent to the Netherlands; I don't know if they are still in service.

There are a few ideas anyway - would anyone like to enlarge on any of them?
  • This is a very broad topic, which may be the reason for lack of response so far.

Here in the south we tend to take electric railways for granted; they have been with us for a long time. Even so, things have not stood still. The introduction of newer trains with different driving characteristics has necessitated the installation of new substations along the routes.

Across the nation, over the years, we have seen the electrification of principal routes - the so-called west coast and east coast main lines. Ongoing is the Great Western electrification, behind schedule and over-budget. I'm sure it will be great when it is finished. What next? The electrification of the Trans-Pennine route is much discussed but when it will happen is anyone's guess.

On Tyneside, in the early 1960s, an electric system similar to the Southern Region third-rail system gave way to diesel. (Interestingly in this period also, trolley buses in the area were phased out.) In the early 1980s the lines were re-electrified to create the Tyneside Metro we know today. I don't think we'll see trolley buses again, but trams are making a come-back in modern form in several cities.

We have a mix of electrification systems - third rail and overhead line at 25 000 volts. The Eurostar trains cope admirably with both. There was a 2 500 volt overhead line system on the Manchester to Sheffield freight route, which gave way to diesel in the early 1980s. I understand that the locomotives were sent to the Netherlands; I don't know if they are still in service.

There are a few ideas anyway - would anyone like to enlarge on any of them?
Children
No Data