This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Electrification - long term thinking

This is a topic that has been discussed many, many time in the IET Railway Technical Network Executive Committee meetings, with lots of different views and opinions on what is needed and how it could work. Anyone got any thoughts on this?
Parents
  • I haven't seen any data on electric buses , and am waiting to see how they fare in winter , so don't know . I can imagine the single deck bus working ok on battery , but not a fully loaded double decker . As for trolley buses bit too old technology for me to have any real view, there is a trolley bus museum at sandtoft and really great tramway museum at crich in Derbyshire . People who I know who did remember trolley buses , describe the frequent stops to re attach the pantograph using a hook on a wooden pole. Contactless charging is being explained , but I am not to sure if its efficienct as things have to be aligned precisely . If the battery is at 80% charge after 5yrs that's a big problem , current battery tech is not yet perfected.
  • I haven't seen any data on electric buses , and am waiting to see how they fare in winter , so don't know . I can imagine the single deck bus working ok on battery , but not a fully loaded double decker . As for trolley buses bit too old technology for me to have any real view, there is a trolley bus museum at sandtoft and really great tramway museum at crich in Derbyshire . People who I know who did remember trolley buses , describe the frequent stops to re attach the pantograph using a hook on a wooden pole. Contactless charging is being explained , but I am not to sure if its efficienct as things have to be aligned precisely . If the battery is at 80% charge after 5yrs that's a big problem , current battery tech is not yet perfected.
Children
No Data