This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Graduate Engineer who lacks experience.

I have recently graduated from university with a first in Mechanical Engineering however I lack work experience in the field. I feel like this is going to hold me back in terms of employability as graduate schemes are often fiercely competitive. What's a good way to quickly gain work experience? I've rang a few local companies but I always end up being directed to emails to no avail.
Parents
  • I appreciate that the COVID situation makes it more difficult, but there is no substitute for personal contact, even if your first contact isn’t with a senior person.  Most organisations encourage employee referrals and they will know if there is any chance of being hired or getting an internship.  Don’t discount very small businesses or the possibility of forming a partnership with others.

Identify those organisations you would like to work for, find out as much as you can about them and make sure you can answer the question; Why to you want to work with us? If you can’t find anyone suitable them spread you search wider.

Who has come through the COVID situation still hiring? In my area that would be Ocado and other distributors such as Amazon. I did a tour of one of their warehouses last year, packed full of automation, if that is you interest, although I don’t know if they take inexperienced engineers?    

• I appreciate that the COVID situation makes it more difficult, but there is no substitute for personal contact, even if your first contact isn’t with a senior person.  Most organisations encourage employee referrals and they will know if there is any chance of being hired or getting an internship.  Don’t discount very small businesses or the possibility of forming a partnership with others.

Identify those organisations you would like to work for, find out as much as you can about them and make sure you can answer the question; Why to you want to work with us? If you can’t find anyone suitable them spread you search wider.

Who has come through the COVID situation still hiring? In my area that would be Ocado and other distributors such as Amazon. I did a tour of one of their warehouses last year, packed full of automation, if that is you interest, although I don’t know if they take inexperienced engineers?    

Children
No Data