This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Graduate Engineer who lacks experience.

I have recently graduated from university with a first in Mechanical Engineering however I lack work experience in the field. I feel like this is going to hold me back in terms of employability as graduate schemes are often fiercely competitive. What's a good way to quickly gain work experience? I've rang a few local companies but I always end up being directed to emails to no avail.
Parents
  • Leonard,

Graduate schemes may be fiercely competitive but don't discount them without at least giving it a go. The employers are generally looking for somebody who stands out and the fact that you are coming here asking questions signifies to me at least that you are at least one step above the average graduate (not to mention the advantage of having gained a first). The important thing is to sell yourself while remaining honest (pretending to be something you are not only stores up trouble for the future when they expect something of you that you are unable to deliver).

If you add to that the advice above from Roy then you should stand a decent chance of getting, if not your dream job, at least your start on the ladder.

Best wishes,

Alasdair
  • Leonard,

Graduate schemes may be fiercely competitive but don't discount them without at least giving it a go. The employers are generally looking for somebody who stands out and the fact that you are coming here asking questions signifies to me at least that you are at least one step above the average graduate (not to mention the advantage of having gained a first). The important thing is to sell yourself while remaining honest (pretending to be something you are not only stores up trouble for the future when they expect something of you that you are unable to deliver).

If you add to that the advice above from Roy then you should stand a decent chance of getting, if not your dream job, at least your start on the ladder.

Best wishes,

Alasdair
Children
No Data