This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Calvin Asks: Help! I'm fighting a losing battle.

I’m a mum of two girls age 7 and 9 and I’m trying hard to get and keep them interested in the sciences and engineering (my husband is an engineer) and yet I feel like I’m fighting a losing battle.  No matter how many times I ask my own family and in-laws not to buy the girls stereotypical ‘girly’ presents they always do.

Both mine and my husband’s family are very traditional when it comes to family roles, the man of the house is the breadwinner and the wife keeps house and brings up the children. My mother is very disapproving of the fact that I work and is constantly making veiled comments that I’m failing as a mother because I’m not caring for my husband and children 24 hours a day.

I told my family from the start that I wanted my girls to have choices and options as they grew up and have ambitions over and above ‘find a boyfriend, get married and have kids’.  My mother and mother in law however, both insist that the girls should be ‘trained’ for a future as a wife and mother and any thoughts of a career should come second, especially a career in engineering or science.  

My husband is a member of the IET so I’ve seen lots of literature and information about encouraging girls into STEM subjects but most of it is targeted at parents and teachers. How can we change the attitudes of grandparents and other family members though?

Losing the battle - Yeovil

Need advice but  too shy to ask? Have a question of a ‘sensitive’ nature and would prefer to remain anonymous? Need to get something off your chest but worried about the boss (or your colleagues) finding out? Then ‘Ask Calvin’ !  

Submit your questions confidentially to AskCalvin@theiet.org and Calvin will ask the community on your behalf giving you the anonymity you want to find the advice you need.

Parents
  • This is just my opinion - you make your own decisions! :-)  You will never change your family's attitude - it is who they are and how they were brought up.  You are THE role model for your kids, especially when they are younger, so you need to keep doing what you are doing and keep them exposed to STEM activities.  As they get older, hopefully they will develop friends with similar interests and keep up their own activities (friends are a huge factor in their lives too).    BUT, you should not force this on your kids into this.  Their interests may be elsewhere.  Keep their interests balanced with other activities (sports, arts & crafts, etc) ultimately, they will decide what they want to do and what interests them - keep them curious!!      Honestly, if your parents keep this up, it may be time to limit their influence - set your boundaries and ask them to respect that.
  • This is just my opinion - you make your own decisions! :-)  You will never change your family's attitude - it is who they are and how they were brought up.  You are THE role model for your kids, especially when they are younger, so you need to keep doing what you are doing and keep them exposed to STEM activities.  As they get older, hopefully they will develop friends with similar interests and keep up their own activities (friends are a huge factor in their lives too).    BUT, you should not force this on your kids into this.  Their interests may be elsewhere.  Keep their interests balanced with other activities (sports, arts & crafts, etc) ultimately, they will decide what they want to do and what interests them - keep them curious!!      Honestly, if your parents keep this up, it may be time to limit their influence - set your boundaries and ask them to respect that.
Children
No Data