This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Calvin Asks: Help! I'm fighting a losing battle.

I’m a mum of two girls age 7 and 9 and I’m trying hard to get and keep them interested in the sciences and engineering (my husband is an engineer) and yet I feel like I’m fighting a losing battle.  No matter how many times I ask my own family and in-laws not to buy the girls stereotypical ‘girly’ presents they always do.

Both mine and my husband’s family are very traditional when it comes to family roles, the man of the house is the breadwinner and the wife keeps house and brings up the children. My mother is very disapproving of the fact that I work and is constantly making veiled comments that I’m failing as a mother because I’m not caring for my husband and children 24 hours a day.

I told my family from the start that I wanted my girls to have choices and options as they grew up and have ambitions over and above ‘find a boyfriend, get married and have kids’.  My mother and mother in law however, both insist that the girls should be ‘trained’ for a future as a wife and mother and any thoughts of a career should come second, especially a career in engineering or science.  

My husband is a member of the IET so I’ve seen lots of literature and information about encouraging girls into STEM subjects but most of it is targeted at parents and teachers. How can we change the attitudes of grandparents and other family members though?

Losing the battle - Yeovil

Need advice but  too shy to ask? Have a question of a ‘sensitive’ nature and would prefer to remain anonymous? Need to get something off your chest but worried about the boss (or your colleagues) finding out? Then ‘Ask Calvin’ !  

Submit your questions confidentially to AskCalvin@theiet.org and Calvin will ask the community on your behalf giving you the anonymity you want to find the advice you need.

Parents
  • Can I suggest Lottie Dolls?  If they want to go down the doll route, then Lottie teaches a lot of STEM roles and also a lot of diversity issues. Aimed at activities that kids do, they are inclusive in terms of diversity and abiity - yes the girls are dolls, but they can be scientists, activists, explorers, brownies etc   WES have some information on them and my own niece (8) has a few of these.  Best of both worlds?

https://uk.lottie.com/collections/all-toys

• Can I suggest Lottie Dolls?  If they want to go down the doll route, then Lottie teaches a lot of STEM roles and also a lot of diversity issues. Aimed at activities that kids do, they are inclusive in terms of diversity and abiity - yes the girls are dolls, but they can be scientists, activists, explorers, brownies etc   WES have some information on them and my own niece (8) has a few of these.  Best of both worlds?

https://uk.lottie.com/collections/all-toys

Children
No Data