This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Are there lessons we could all learn from how the modern military copes with unexpected situations?

Hi,

A couple of serious issues I was involved with this weekend made me think of this. One was in the engineering world to do with the day job, I was reviewing a very serious incident report (fortunately no fatalities but very close) involving a mixture of everyone trying to do the best they could, but perhaps over reliant on structured checklists which had completely missed an entire piece of equipment in a fairly unique situation. The other was a medical issue in the family, once again all the individual hospital staff were doing their best, but there was a bit of the process that just didn't cope with a particular situation.

Which made me think of something that's long been at the back of my mind: I've never worked in a military environment, but my impression of the modern military from the contacts I have had is that there is still a very structured hierarchy, chain of command, and focus on process, but equally it appears that somehow there is also the ability for small units to have the skills and freedom to evaluate and make their own decisions when challenging circumstances arise - exactly the key skills that were missing in the two examples above. 

So really two questions I'd really like to know other people's views on (particularly those who have worked across both the military and civilian worlds): firstly are my impressions above correct? And if so (or even if a bit wrong but on the right lines) are there lessons we can learn from how this works that we can apply to the management of engineering activities in the wider world - particularly in safety critical issues where we need structure but also need the ability to rapidly and effectively cope with new problems when they come up?   

Thanks,

Andy
Parents
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    Andy, yes being ex-military (>29 years) and now working in industry, there is much that can be learned from the disciplines, structured thinking, processes, risk management, teamwork, systems thinking, and planning processes within the military. Military management and leadership is not perfect, but I think those organisations that take on-board veterans greatly benefit. However, there does still seem to be a big misunderstanding and stigma against those moving from a military career into a civilian career and that many inherent skills and expertise servicemen have are not well articulated and accepted in industry (leadership; management; planning; resource exploitation; personal discipline; risk management and rapid adaptation; inter-personal skills; systems thinking; etc).

One area that I am aware that veterans have found it difficult to fit in is the NHS and its management approach, the ethos and culture.

Some approaches that would potentially be effective in many organisations are that of 'Commander's intent' - i.e. all understanding what the Boss's end point or outcome is required - the 'ends' - and 'mission command' - i.e providing the resources, guidance and initiative (the 'ways' and means') for local teams to deliver what is required within the bigger picture. However, this does need a clear understanding of 'the end' bigger picture requirement, understanding 'what my role is' in the outcome required, and a balanced centralised/de-centralised ('ways' and 'means') approach to trust people to use resources effectively and efficiently at a local contextual level, but within an overall policy, strategy, and service delivery framework. It would be anarchy if everyone was allowed to whatever, but, within a guiding more efficient NHS or organisational command structure, military approaches would probably help in many cases.

Other ingredients that need to be present is trust in, and, a competent leadership team, the ability and encouragement to innovate, take the initiative, benefit from success, a true teamwork ethic from cleaner to Cabinet minister/CEO, learn rapidly from failure, adopting and adapting best practice, to be held to account, managers to be leaders and have their staff on board, standardisation of data and IT, reward success and initiative, etc.

These times provide a great opportunity to share best practice between departments and the military and industry.
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    Andy, yes being ex-military (>29 years) and now working in industry, there is much that can be learned from the disciplines, structured thinking, processes, risk management, teamwork, systems thinking, and planning processes within the military. Military management and leadership is not perfect, but I think those organisations that take on-board veterans greatly benefit. However, there does still seem to be a big misunderstanding and stigma against those moving from a military career into a civilian career and that many inherent skills and expertise servicemen have are not well articulated and accepted in industry (leadership; management; planning; resource exploitation; personal discipline; risk management and rapid adaptation; inter-personal skills; systems thinking; etc).

One area that I am aware that veterans have found it difficult to fit in is the NHS and its management approach, the ethos and culture.

Some approaches that would potentially be effective in many organisations are that of 'Commander's intent' - i.e. all understanding what the Boss's end point or outcome is required - the 'ends' - and 'mission command' - i.e providing the resources, guidance and initiative (the 'ways' and means') for local teams to deliver what is required within the bigger picture. However, this does need a clear understanding of 'the end' bigger picture requirement, understanding 'what my role is' in the outcome required, and a balanced centralised/de-centralised ('ways' and 'means') approach to trust people to use resources effectively and efficiently at a local contextual level, but within an overall policy, strategy, and service delivery framework. It would be anarchy if everyone was allowed to whatever, but, within a guiding more efficient NHS or organisational command structure, military approaches would probably help in many cases.

Other ingredients that need to be present is trust in, and, a competent leadership team, the ability and encouragement to innovate, take the initiative, benefit from success, a true teamwork ethic from cleaner to Cabinet minister/CEO, learn rapidly from failure, adopting and adapting best practice, to be held to account, managers to be leaders and have their staff on board, standardisation of data and IT, reward success and initiative, etc.

These times provide a great opportunity to share best practice between departments and the military and industry.
Children
No Data