This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Which university is researching electric bike/scooter technology?

Motorcycle News latest edition states that Honda,  Yamaha, Suzuki and Kawasaki are jointly developing new battery packs for bikes but where is the British version being developed??  England used to lead the world in technical development and specification.

Which university will take up this challenge????   We need to specify which type of motor AC or DC brushed or unbrushed is most reliable, then find the most economic variable speed control and finally specify the battery size, shape and connector. [ which Japan is about to take the lead.]

I am convinced that the government would help universities fund such a research project which could spin off into new manufacturing opportunities and employment for thousands of people.
Parents
  • Yes governments can be appalling at missing good technology , at the moment Japan has most of the patent technology for batteries and its no use promoting any energy technology as clean now ,unless you can recycle it and LION commercially at the moment has a 40% recycle rate although as reported in IET magazine some new methods have been developed to get this to 80% and they are being developed . I have always liked motorcycles and I cant get on with the scooter yet , but the big question is how the motorcycle may look in a market of small two seat electric cars or things like the BMWC2 motorcycle from a few years ago.  I dont think we are far off getting a long life , high cycle rate/life battery, but of course all the glory has been on power and milage for the last few years . I think the petrol motorbike will always have a market , the new Ducati is superb and they had a tremendous run with their engines and styling , same goes for Triumph , who seem to have refined their bikes . The most interesting sales recently have been the retro 650/750 twins , have managed some great figures and if your thing is the hand made special then Ariel have done a wonderful bike and the Brough (made in france) is rather jaw dropping The acrimotor (made in USA) is interesting and would certainly replace the vehicles in developing countries . In theory the motorcycle should beat the car in most situations in terms of kw per mile/km  , just got to keep working on that better battery.
  • Yes governments can be appalling at missing good technology , at the moment Japan has most of the patent technology for batteries and its no use promoting any energy technology as clean now ,unless you can recycle it and LION commercially at the moment has a 40% recycle rate although as reported in IET magazine some new methods have been developed to get this to 80% and they are being developed . I have always liked motorcycles and I cant get on with the scooter yet , but the big question is how the motorcycle may look in a market of small two seat electric cars or things like the BMWC2 motorcycle from a few years ago.  I dont think we are far off getting a long life , high cycle rate/life battery, but of course all the glory has been on power and milage for the last few years . I think the petrol motorbike will always have a market , the new Ducati is superb and they had a tremendous run with their engines and styling , same goes for Triumph , who seem to have refined their bikes . The most interesting sales recently have been the retro 650/750 twins , have managed some great figures and if your thing is the hand made special then Ariel have done a wonderful bike and the Brough (made in france) is rather jaw dropping The acrimotor (made in USA) is interesting and would certainly replace the vehicles in developing countries . In theory the motorcycle should beat the car in most situations in terms of kw per mile/km  , just got to keep working on that better battery.
Children
No Data