This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Have we reached the peak of innovation in television broadcasting?

Last week the IET Anglian Coastal Network hosted a fascinating webinar on ‘The Future of TV: Let’s make it personal’ which started me thinking about what the future will hold.  It doesn’t seem that long ago that only a handful of television stations were broadcasting and now with the introduction of digital terrestrial, satellite, cable and other subscription services there are thousands of channels broadcasting all over the world.

We can now watch what we want, when we want to watch it, where we watch it and with more ‘personalisation’, how we choose to watch it too.  So, if I want to watch the next Formula 1 race entirely from the view of the driver then I can choose to do that as well as bring up other information to enhance my viewing experience. But… what’s next?  As TV watching has evolved so quickly over the past few years, what does the future hold? Is there more innovation to come or have we reached a plateau?
Parents
  • I think (hope) TV will get even more personal in the future! ?

A few years back I used to be the IET Community Manager for the Multimedia Communications Network (now the IET Media Technical Network) and part of my role involved attending the International Broadcasting Convention (IBC) in Amsterdam every year.  The work that some of the exhibitors showcase there is out of this world!

I would love to see full immersion TV where you can sit in your living room and have the programme projected all around you as if you're actually there amongst it. I know this can be done using VR headsets but to do it without having to use the headsets would be excellent! I remember the last time I went to IBC there was a company who had created a TV 'room' where the four walls were in fact huge LCD screens on which you could display wallpaper  (yes patterned wallpaper ?) with virtual windows and a clock on the wall or varying sized boxes displaying different programmes on different channels or use the entire set up to show one specific broadcast such as a 360 degree concert. Now I'd want me one of those...! 

I'd also like to see more personalisation by being able to 'dislike' certain types of content so it's not shown to you again and in the case of broadcast channels, perhaps swapped for something you may like instead. i.e. 'I'd like to see more of this and less of that' in the same way that you can do on YouTube. Especially for advertising where certain adverts really irritate me and as a result I'd never buy that product or use that service on principle.... ?
  • I think (hope) TV will get even more personal in the future! ?

A few years back I used to be the IET Community Manager for the Multimedia Communications Network (now the IET Media Technical Network) and part of my role involved attending the International Broadcasting Convention (IBC) in Amsterdam every year.  The work that some of the exhibitors showcase there is out of this world!

I would love to see full immersion TV where you can sit in your living room and have the programme projected all around you as if you're actually there amongst it. I know this can be done using VR headsets but to do it without having to use the headsets would be excellent! I remember the last time I went to IBC there was a company who had created a TV 'room' where the four walls were in fact huge LCD screens on which you could display wallpaper  (yes patterned wallpaper ?) with virtual windows and a clock on the wall or varying sized boxes displaying different programmes on different channels or use the entire set up to show one specific broadcast such as a 360 degree concert. Now I'd want me one of those...! 

I'd also like to see more personalisation by being able to 'dislike' certain types of content so it's not shown to you again and in the case of broadcast channels, perhaps swapped for something you may like instead. i.e. 'I'd like to see more of this and less of that' in the same way that you can do on YouTube. Especially for advertising where certain adverts really irritate me and as a result I'd never buy that product or use that service on principle.... ?
Children
No Data